Try to use Mini as HTPC, but Apple bluetooth keyboard loses connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by powerbook911, Apr 2, 2009.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I try to use my new Mac Mini has a HTPC.

However, when in the middle of watching video, say 20 minutes in a show or something, the warning keeps coming up on screen "lost connection," with the keyboard.

Anyway around this? Doesn't seem like you should have to use a wired keyboard, for a computer that so many use in the living room?

Many thanks.

2. vtonangi macrumors newbie

batteries? if not - try this...

Looks to me like your batteries are not charged. I've seen this with some rechargeable batteries. If you have already tried that and it still doesn't work make sure besides a mouse there are no other active bluetooth connections - if there are - remove them. Also, make sure in system prefs > network that bluetooth is not listed as connected (or attempting, etc...) remove if it is listed and reboot. But my initial guess is that you are using rechargable batteries that aren't charging 100%

Let me know if anything works. I'm curious :)

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

i use a mini as htpc, and have no keyboard plugged in.

I just use screen sharing if i need to do something on it.
    i have friends that have a linux box for a HTPC and they use synergy so they can use the mouse and keyboard on their laptops like the tv is a second monitor (just move off to the left of their laptop screen, and they are on the tv, and can use their keyboards there too.

I use a program called Remote buddy. It gives you a lot more control from the apple remote, and lets you map keys to any program you want. Plus if you have 2 remotes, in the same way that you can pair a remote to a computer, you can assign different functions to each remote.
    It comes with an onscreen menu that you can use to browse your files, plus you can access the same menu from an iphone or ipod touch. you can also use the menu to do all sorts of system functions like sleep, shutdown or quit or force quit a program.
    it also has mouse mode, where you can move the cursor around using the direction buttons, and an onscreen keyboard also.

but the coolest function is that you can use a wii-mote with it (connects via bluetooth). it gives you more buttons (can access everything on the remote but the power button), and with a sensor bar you can point the wiimote at the screen and use it as a mouse.

for a sensor bar i have 2 IR LEDs on the top of my tv, plugged into a usb port on the mini. fairly straight forward if you have even a tiny bit of electronics experience. you can buy a battery powered one though.

4. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I've been using an aluminum wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse on my Mini HTPC setup. It seems to only lose the connection when I'm using both. If I only use the keyboard everything is fine. But as soon as I turn on the MM things start acting weird.

It's been almost two years since people started reporting problems with these and Apple still hasn't fixed it. Poor show.

5. CharlesCA macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem too! I thought it was just happening because I maybe dropped the keyboard or something.

6. gotzero macrumors 68040

Mine does this once in awhile on my TV, but it still works. I can see how it would be annoying if you were watching a movie.

I am sure there would be a way to remove it, but it would probably take quite a bit of digging to find.

7. jw2002 macrumors 6502

I have the same exact problem, and NO, it is not a battery issue. It is bad interference management and/or software on Apple's part. I wish there were a way to suppress the connection lost message because when I'm watching a dvd or video, I could care less that the wireless keyboard lost a connection. I don't need my Apple to announce that it sucks at bluetooth in the middle of a movie! Let's hope that Apple finally gets on the ball with Snow Leopard and fixes this long standing problem with their bluetooth daemon software.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

the wireless MM are notorious for dropping the BT connection out of the blue, which is why I returned mine back.

9. statik13 macrumors regular

I have the same issue with my Mac Mini HTPC. I started getting in the habit of turning off the keyboard when watching a movie. That way the annoying "lost connection" overlay doesn't pop up.

Is there any way to just get rid of that overlay? Maybe replace it with a less conspicuous icon?