Try Wi-Fi before 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AnotherFanBoy, Jul 8, 2010.

1. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Hey guys

I bought my iPhone 4 today and am really happy with it so far.

Only question I have relates to 3G. I will regularly be using Skype when they finally update it to include multi-tasking and so I would like to know if there is a way to force the phone to try to connect via Wi-Fi before it uses 3G.

I have a limited data plan (they don't offer anything else in the UK) and so when I am at home I'd like to use my Wi-Fi instead of 3G. I know you can turn 3G off but I'm wondering if there is an automatic option somewhere?

Thanks

Lewis

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I thought iPhones always went to a recognized WiFi network when possible...:confused:

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

This. The iPhone makes networking transparent to applications. They seamlessly switch between 3G and WIFI depending on the state of your device. I do think that wifi will shut off after "sleeping" the phone which probably means skype will use your 3G data instead while the device is off and in your pocket.

4. AnotherFanBoy thread starter macrumors regular

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Yeah. When within range it will default to wifi. But when sleeping for extended periods it will switch back to 3G. Thats what I understand anyway.