Tryin' to get a handle on Itunes Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Live Steam, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Live Steam macrumors regular

I am a recent convert to Mac so please be gentle :) I have been trying to get my music library from my external HD into the iMac and into my new iTunes library. It seems the iTunes in PC form can handle WMA files, but not in OS X. Thus I have quite a bit of music stored in WMA format. When I try to import to my new iTunes library, a good portion of it is left behind because it is not MP3 or at least this is how I see it.

What I would like to accomplish is moving all of my music to my internal HD and have it all accessible from iTunes. The "import" option of iTunes doesn't seem to be able to do the trick. Any help is appreciated.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

iTunes for Windows can convert WMA to either MP3 or AAC, iTunes for Mac cannot. (Just highlight the songs, right click, and select convert)

Thus, you'll have to convert in windows before transferring over to Mac.

3. Live Steam thread starter macrumors regular

I did that but I do not know how to get those files into the new iTunes library. Can I batch import? I don't see how this can be done. I tried pointing iTunes to the directory these files are stored in so it could use that as the data for the library, but that doesn't seem to work. I know on a PC I could just dump the files into the directory for Media Player and it would see them and use them. What am I missing here. Oh thanks for the reply.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you use the Add to Library menu option in iTunes you can select whole folders, and it will add all the songs in that folder into iTunes.

5. Live Steam thread starter macrumors regular

I'll give that a try. It may be that I am working off of a virtual machine that Mac iTunes cannot see the files. I may have to move them to the OS X drive first before doing what you suggest. How about converting them? Is there a batch conversion I can perform?