trying a firewall has knocked me offline

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MotorcycleBetty, Dec 8, 2009.

1. MotorcycleBetty macrumors member

May 14, 2008

A couple of days ago, I thought I'd try a 3rd party firewall to beef up security on my 2008 MBP running 10.6.2 on an ethernet connection using a router (nothing changed there).

I installed Little Snitch, tweaking its settings (don't remember what I tweaked) to customize it to my preferences as I went thru two 3-hour demo periods. Then I uninstalled it (using its own uninstall). I also tried Noob Proof to see if a free program might serve, but wasn't happy with that one, and uninstalled it using AppCleaner.

At some unknown point during this 24 hour period, I lost my internet connection, and I can't get it back.

Things I've tried:

-Ran network diagnostics several times - it says I've got a good connection, and Activity Monitor shows small amounts of data being sent and received.

-Turned Mac's firewall off & back on a few different times. Can't get online even when the firewall is off.

-Turned on the guest account and logging into it. Can't get online thru the guest account either.

-Re-installed Snow Leopard just in case it might re-set whatever is wrong.

-Looked at LOTS of logs (including Little Snitch's log) to see if I could find the source of the trouble, but while no dummy, I'm also not an expert at reading logs.

-I've also tried connecting to Software Update for a direct connection, thinking maybe it was a browser issue, but can't get connected to anything, anywhere, anyhow.

Any ideas?
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    How are you connecting to the internet? Router? Direct connection through a cable modem? Wireless router? Can you ping anything?
  3. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

May 14, 2008
    Connection is ethernet via router. Other computers on the network have no problem.

I get no response when I ping.
  4. MotorcycleBetty thread starter macrumors member

May 14, 2008
    Here's some additional info that might be helpful. The messages Terminal gives me when I try to ping my router (after timeout) are:

No route to host.

Host is down.

I've run netstat -r and netstat -rn if those results are helpful...