Trying New TB Setup...Little Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by noodle654, Jan 6, 2014.

1. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I decided that I am going to turn my MacBook Pro (2012) classic into my main computer and create a drop in TB setup. My plan is to purchase 2 Dell DVI displays, however since my MBP only has 1 TB port I am running into issues (yes I have read many threads about USB converters...not gonna work). My plan is to use the TB docking stations, been looking at the CalDigit, but I am not sure if this is gonna work, so any input would be great.

I want to have 1 free TB port for my portable TB drives. Using the CalDigit, the HDMI and free TB will be occupied, leaving me with no available TB ports. Would an HDMI splitter work, just running 2 DVI displays via HDMI to the splitter to the HDMI port on the CalDigit?

It is really unfortunate that my MBP only has 1 TB Port. What do you guys do?

2. FreakinEurekan, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014

FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not a lot of options. USB for one of the displays, or get a Thunderbolt Display and the CalDigit dock and daisy-chain them.

If you do an HDMI splitter you'll just get mirrored displays, which I assume is not what you want.

Edit: one other thought - don't know if it would even work - maybe use two CalDigit TB docks daisy chained together. Plug one monitor into the HDMI on each. You'd want to verify with CalDigit that it works on your model MacBook Pro first.

3. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

Can I run the USB converter through one of the USB ports on the CalDigit?

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Don't see any reason why not. However on further reflection, neither of my other ideas would work. The HD4000 graphics on that MacBook Pro will only support one external (so dual docs or a ThunderBolt display plus HDMI dock would not work). So USB is your only real choice, unless you get the Retina MacBook Pro which supports dual external displays.

5. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

How about with the 650M, I have the 15"?

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

By the book, same limitation: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP694

Versus the current Retina: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP690 or http://support.apple.com/kb/SP691

I know sometimes the actual capabilities exceed the published specs, couldn't say whether that's applicable here or not.

7. noodle654 thread starter macrumors 68020

noodle654

Alright thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. I think I am going to go for the CalDigit with the NewerTech USB converter running through it.