Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btcomm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
It's a PSC 1315v printer hooked up to a windows machine. It's shared I can see it with the mac but when I add it, it adds it as a generic post script printer.

When I try to print it sends the jobs but the printer won't print.

When I select HP in the drop down the printer isn't listed. When I click other I have no idea where I could go to see if I can add it properly. I installed the drivers already.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Do you have the IP address of the printer? It's sometimes easier to add it that way than hope to just "see" it on the network.

btcomm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
I do, however when I put in the IP it does the same thing, it does not regognize the printer for what it is, it says generic post script printer.

How can I add it as the psc 1315v?

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Have you tried using bonjour for windows to set up the printer on your pc? I don't know how it works in reverse, but the only way to get my toshiba to recognize my hp laser connected to my imac was to load bonjour on the toshiba. What had taken 3 hours following windows prompts (to no avail) became a 2 minute process, and one of those minutes was the download.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
u need driver for that printer, better search a little bit on google see if u can find one.
this shouldn't have anything to do with IP printer, coz printer doesn't have an independent IP of its own.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
u need driver for that printer, better search a little bit on google see if u can find one.
this shouldn't have anything to do with IP printer, coz printer doesn't have an independent IP of its own.

You are correct. This is a USB printer. It needs to be appropriately hosted. The suggestion of adding Bonjour is not a bad one. What version of Windoze is involved?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL

There should be a print driver that was installed with OS X that should support the printer already. That is if the user didn't do a fresh install and got rid of the things he didn't need.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
There should be a print driver that was installed with OS X that should support the printer already. That is if the user didn't do a fresh install and got rid of the things he didn't need.

i thought OP said his system doesn't contain the driver for that printer.

edit: i just checked my system, its original OSX 10.4, it doesn't have HP PSC 1315v's driver.

OSX's printer setup is much easier than windows when it has driver, its simply plug and play, but if it doesn't have the driver, it would be much more difficult than windows, sometimes impossible. :(

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm in the same boat, I hate having to unplug the printer from my wife's XP machine just to print or scan.

I tried setting my Canon Pixma MP830 up that way but I could never get it to work. I downloaded Bonjour for Windows but don't really understand how doing only that helps. My PowerBook still won't see the printer.

btcomm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Well ok here is the thing QuarterSwede, the Mac does see the printer. When I click on the more printers or more options button holding down the option key I get the ability to brown the network by work group. By doing that I can browse the the printer and the Mac even lists the printer right there as the PSC 1315, and I can add it and the computer can communicate to it. However once I highlight the PSC 1315 and add it, it shows up as a post script printer and when I print to it, the job will actually go into the print Que on the windows machine however it won't print the jobs, they just get stuck.

So anyway I went here, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=219&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=374575&lang=en

downloaded

HP All-in-One printing-only web installer for Mac OS X v10.2.8, v10.3 and v10.4.

Installed it on the mac and I still don't see where I can select the printer as a psc 1315.

So shouldn't what I downloaded be the driver?

Once you install that software where could you go to select the driver on the HD?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
It's a PSC 1315v printer hooked up to a windows machine. It's shared I can see it with the mac but when I add it, it adds it as a generic post script printer.

When I try to print it sends the jobs but the printer won't print.

When I select HP in the drop down the printer isn't listed. When I click other I have no idea where I could go to see if I can add it properly. I installed the drivers already.
This question has been asked and answered on this forum too many times to count. You cannot use a USB driver to communicate between a Mac and printer in a networked environment. You need to use MacOS X's built-in CUPS facility. Download and install Gutenprint and read the included documentation. If Gutenprint does not include a driver your specific printer, you may mind the CUPS driver that you need on the Linuxprinting.org website.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
This question has been asked and answered on this forum too many times to count. You cannot use a USB driver to communicate between a Mac and printer in a networked environment. You need to use MacOS X's built-in CUPS facility. Download and install Gutenprint and read the included documentation. If Gutenprint does not include a driver your specific printer, you may mind the CUPS driver that you need on the Linuxprinting.org website.

read his reply, he already had a driver for OSX from hp's official site.

btcomm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Devin, what he's saying is that driver I downloaded is for USB and that it cannot be used to communicate to a networked printer.

I just wonder once I install Gutenprint, can I just add the printer the way I was before and it will work or do I have to run gutenprint and add the printer within the guutenprint program. I don't have access to the mac right now so thats why I'm asking.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
i guess that means no printing remotely from my macbook? i have a similar printer, the psc 1210 on a windows network and i've been getting nothing but errors all day. guess i finally found out why. no biggie though, don't have too much stuff to print or anything. i can always network the files i need printed to my pc box or if i really need to print directly, just plug in the usb to the printer. but too bad, i really wanted to print directly from the macbook...:(

btcomm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
MisterMe, once you install that program can you just add the printer and select it as the correct one? Or do you have to use the program and some how add the printer through that program?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.