Trying to add Snow Leopard..both drives don't use "GUID partition table".... SOS

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cohunakid, Feb 25, 2012.

1. cohunakid macrumors newbie

Just upgraded my internal drive size in my iMac 6.1 to 3TB.
    Had to partition it (partition 1) and did the swap out of data from the old disc to the new much larger one.

Went to upgrade to Snow Leopard and (currently on 10.5.8) and both the external WD 2TB drive and the new internal 3TB drive have the " ! " showing on both drives.
    I go to DiscUtility and I can't even erase the new internal disc and start again.
    It wont show many options as it looks like it's sorta locked out from touching?
    The external WD drive is more open and it could be partitioned but this then requires a deletion of data on the drive...not up for that.

I needed to have clicked on "GUID partition Table" when I first set up the new internal drive ???

Can you guys point me in a direction so I can get back on track and move forward with Lion after SN in all set?

Could I add SL to the old MAc disc and then clone all the data onto the larger drive....hmmm don't think the old mac drive has enough space left.

Stuart..

2. cohunakid thread starter macrumors newbie

Good info in that link.
    Here's the screen shot I get when diving into partition when going to the bigger drive.
    All the paths forward are shadowed out and not live (seemed to be locked out)
    I can't do a "Volume Scheme" selection...

I also did a larger drive change out on my Mac Book Pro (not added the physical disc internally yet) and was able to do the steps you mentioned and select "Volume Scheme" and click on GUID ..... but got a pop up that said something like "not able to unmount disc" .... something like that. hmmmm

Attached Files:

3. simsaladimbamba

You have to do it via Disk Utility while booted from the Installation DVD, though I am unsure, how you could boot from that 3 TB HDD into Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.