Trying to automate Synergy client startup [SOLVED!]

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Riverside, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Riverside macrumors member

Riverside

I need to create a .sh file in a directory with some code in it.

How do I create a .sh file in Library/LoginWindow?

I know how to open and use the terminal, and have already got Synergy running properly, but I need to get this code into a file with .sh extension.

I haven't worked with Macs in a very long time, and things have changed a bit!!

Can anyone help me create this file?

I don't know Unix very well at all, so if it needs to be done in the Terminal, please be detailed!

Synergy instructions assume I already know how. They don't know me very well.

Thanks

2. Riverside thread starter macrumors member

Riverside

Synergykm is awesome!

After many hours trying to solve this problem I've finally stumbled on the answer!

First, I did figure out how to create the file I spoke of above, and it was rather convoluted, and worked, however there were still problems with getting the program to recognize the server.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Synergy, it's a free open source program that allows you to share one keyboard and mouse with several computers across a network, and is cross platform.

Unfortunately, the instructions for setting it up on a Mac, as a client at least, are really hard to follow, at least for me.

I've had very little training (about three weeks worth just about a year ago) in Linux, but I did remember enough to get the aforementioned "LoginHook.sh" file written and placed properly using Pico in the terminal.

I also got the LoginHook commands [NOT according to the Synergy instructions, but according to Apple's instructions for Leopard], to see and launch Synergy during log in.

For some reason, the system.log in Mac kept either reporting a Synergy crash, or that the server name still had to be entered into the LoginHook.sh file properly. I tried hostname.local, followed by both Mac IP, and by 255.255.1.1 format, and tried dropping .local from the name with both. Nothing worked. Synergy either crashed on log in, or reported the server name as incorrect.

At some point, about half an hour ago, I was typing "synergy [something or other] into Google search bar in Firefox, when I noticed something in the list of suggestions called, "Synergykm" so I clicked it out of curiosity.

Boy, am I ever glad I did!

Five minutes later, Synergykm was installed, configured, and I'm now running a Compaq Presario laptop, and desktop both with XP home, AND my Mac Pro Leopard, and also on the Boot Camp XP Pro installation on the Mac all with a single keyboard and mouse! AND, copy and paste between screens is WORKING as advertised! This is AWESOME.

I noticed Synergy is listed here on the forums as an unknown on Leopard. Well, I'm here to say, it works fine so far on mine! I just don't recommend scripting it yourself. Use Synergykm. Synergy and Synergykm are both at Sourceforge.net

Now, I need to figure out whether I can use the same name for both the Mac and Windows systems so it will automatically connect no matter which I boot up in.

Anyone know if that CAN'T be done?

Let me know as soon as you can, so I don't waste a ton more time on the impossible!:rolleyes:

By the way, if anyone out there is thinking of using Synergykm, I believe it is NOT stand alone, and is simply a GUI interface for Synergy on the Mac. I'm almost positive you have to have Synergy installed first.

3. mdlawrence macrumors newbie

Synergykm

Thanks for the comment on SynergyKM WOW! what a time saver it is.

4. Riverside thread starter macrumors member

Riverside