Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
I want to know if this is possible, and if it is, how to do it [Google got me nowhere]. I put another 320GB HD in my XPS 420 and I want to use it [over WiFi] as a backup for Time Machine on my Mac. I was able to get the two to discover eachother. However, though connecting to my Mac via my PC is easy, vice versa it says "Connection Failed" and gives me an error dialog if I click "Connect as...". I tried making an ad-hoc network and got the same results.

So I need to know how to get Time Machine to recognize my PC's extra hard drive via WiFi, but I have no idea where to start. I tried to turn on as much sharing as possible on both computers.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Time Machine needs HFS+ drive (guid partition for intel Macs to work)...

First full backup should be done via Ethernet 'cause your backing up 20GB+ for the first time.. After that then TM will work fine over Wifi connected thru usb on the router...

Thanks, will Time Machine not recognize it if it's not HFS+ ? I have an external but it's a backup for PC's therefore I'd have to erase it. Also, my HD is an internal inside my PC, is there any way TM can use it like that?

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Short answer is no .. but i bet someone else say otherwise.... :eek:

Yep, And I am going to. There is a terminal command that will allow Time Machine to recognize other shared volumes on your network. I did it on my machine and although I never tried to back up to it to see if it works, I assume it would. Let me see if i can find the terminal command on the Tubes. I stumbled on it by looking for Leopard customization tips.

And because I know you'll argue otherwise iPhil I'll post a screenshot. ;)

picture1cc6bd.jpg

(You see why I didn't choose to back up onto it as it only has 2gb free :eek:)

Stay tuned to see if I can't find that website again.

EDIT: Ahh yes, here it is. Please note that that is not the exact website where I got my instructions but it seems to have the same steps so yeah. If you screw up something it's not my fault...... But don't be afraid!! :)

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Yep, And I am going to. There is a terminal command that will allow Time Machine to recognize other shared volumes on your network. I did it on my machine and although I never tried to back up to it to see if it works, I assume it would. Let me see if i can find the terminal command on the Tubes. I stumbled on it by looking for Leopard customization tips.

EDIT: Ahh yes, here it is. Please note that that is not the exact website where I got my instructions but it seems to have the same steps so yeah. If you screw up something it's not my fault...... But don't be afraid!! :)

Thanks! I will give that a go. Any idea how to get my iMac to connect to my PC, so I can be sure that the extra drive is accessible?

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Thanks! I will give that a go. Any idea how to get my iMac to connect to my PC, so I can be sure that the extra drive is accessible?

I set up a shared folder on my PC. (You see how it says my documents in my screenshot) You can probably find a tutorial on how to do this on the google. Then after you get it all set up to share, look in your finder and you'll see the name of your PC. Click on that and connect to the shared folder and it will appear as an ejectable drive in the Finder and on your desktop. The ejectable drive should show the same number of GB as the entire drive that the shared folder is on. Remember to turn the privileges to write to the file on. If you have completed the steps correctly on the page I linked to, the drive will also show up in the Time Machine Preference Pane.

Please note that depending on the size of the backup it could take a VERY long time over wifi. Just be prepared.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
I set up a shared folder on my PC. (You see how it says my documents in my screenshot) You can probably find a tutorial on how to do this on the google. Then after you get it all set up to share, look in your finder and you'll see the name of your PC. Click on that and connect to the shared folder and it will appear as an ejectable drive in the Finder and on your desktop. The ejectable drive should show the same number of GB as the entire drive that the shared folder is on. Remember to turn the privileges to write to the file on. If you have completed the steps correctly on the page I linked to, the drive will also show up in the Time Machine Preference Pane.

Please note that depending on the size of the backup it could take a VERY long time over wifi. Just be prepared.

I see. I found a guide but now my iMac doesn't see the XPS. It just finds [and always has] found my mom's work desktop that's connected directly to the router. Earlier, when I posted, it found my XPS after hitting "command-shift-k", but not anymore :confused:

What setting configurations are you using? Vista has made this all the harder :(

Forgot to add, the drive is set to shared, and I have my network set to private. File sharing is enabled, and they are connected to the same "linksys" network. so I don't get why my iMac can't find it?

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
Got it! For now at least :)

One minute away from backing up. Thanks for the amazing help guys!

iPhil

macrumors 68040

picture1cc6bd.jpg

I never said that: I'm TM the know it all dude™ ... :p

The info that I've already gave was from memory..

And I don't want that title again.. I'm the know it all dude™ 'cause it killed my health... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.