Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gustavopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Brazil
Hi. I just change my old and wrecked optical unit by a SSD. I did a carbon copy of my old HD and now I'm using it as primary system volume, with Lion.

So an old HD with old stuff has been left behind. I'd think would be a good idea to copy it all to DVD and save it, as I did it before when migrating from Classic to OSX etc.. So I bought some DVD DL and started a spanned recording with Toast Titanium 9. It record until 3rd disc and hang! I did wait hours but it only come back when I give up and force the DVD out (I try to abort but Toast seams waiting for an answer that never comes). The DVD seams ok, for some miracle. So the point is how to resume the spanning recording from 4 to 7 (as resuming a printing job). Couldn't find a way of doing it, if I start again Toast begin from the beginning and don't jump a DVD. I can only think about creating images, but got no 60GB of free space for that.

Try again with new discs is out of the question, more money to take the risk of a hang in the 7th disc - will kill myself!

Do you know some hack or some option I didn't see in Toast to resume my backup?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
How large is the drive you want to back up?

Wouldn't it be FAR easier to back it up to one or two USB flash drives?

Why not just buy an external USB enclosure, and put the old drive into it?

gustavopi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Brazil
How large is the drive you want to back up?

Wouldn't it be FAR easier to back it up to one or two USB flash drives?

Why not just buy an external USB enclosure, and put the old drive into it?

In the original 80HD, is taking about 70GB. Maybe will fit in a 64GB pen drive (depending on the formatting), about five times expansive, and will be using a media for a different purpose (pen drive wasn't projected to be a static backup).

But, yes, I might find another way to solve the backup problem, but the issue of loosing discs in large spanned copies will remains - this is just a particular situation. I tried to generate images, but it does only one single giant image. Maybe packing with zip or far, I don't know, where are the hackers of this forum???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.