Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
I thought I could put my design skills to use, and put together gourmet cocoa & coffees baskets for my family and friends.

Coffee mugs, homemade cocoas & coffees, peppermint sticks, chocolate dipped spoons & and a small personal momento.

Here's what I have so far for the cocoa labels.
(I found the recipes online...so I'm trying them out this weekend, before I make them in bulk.)

Thoughts?

Oh, yeah...My father's side of the family has italian heritage (thus the italian flair). From what I could find the quote roughly means, "Life is too beautiful to think it is granted." (Anotherwords, "Don't take life for granted).

Attachments

• gourmetcoffeetags.jpg
    gourmetcoffeetags.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 114

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
I agree with stainlessliquid in that to me atleast they're not italian, they seemed to give off an indian (curry) type vibe when I looked at them.
Personally speaking italy always say cream green and deep red to me but I suppose you could argue thats the stereotypical colours which we become accustomed to.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
I suppose I didn't fully explain...
I wanted the italian verbage with a christmas feel...The shape in the background is a retro ornament. The warm colors were supposed to make you think of the cocoa/coffee drink mix flavor.

Am I still off?

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
In my opinion even with what you have said it still is off in my opinion.

The background image doesn't look like a christmas ornament to me and the colours really don't make me think of coffee/cocoa either - sorry

Whimsy

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2006
I didn't think that they were THAT off/bad. I actually think they're pretty nice and coffee-esque. :) And besides, it's a gift for family and friends. I don't think they're going to be critically analyzing the cultural correlation of the design. I like it.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
I suppose I didn't fully explain...
I wanted the italian verbage with a christmas feel...The shape in the background is a retro ornament. The warm colors were supposed to make you think of the cocoa/coffee drink mix flavor.

Am I still off?

Like I said, the brown ones gave me a 50's vibe, which is what youre going for. The red ones are off, theres just too much moroccan/middle eastern stuff. I would stick with different shades of brown if you want to keep that shape.

Scooby_Doo

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2005
Chicago
I agree with some of the earlier posts questioning how well the old Christmas decoration in the center matched the overall feel of the piece.

I think the sharp angles on it don't easily give off the Christmas vibe in this day and age. Perhaps something more soft shaped would help.

I do like the geometric trees and the stripes in the background. That is a good start. Perhaps going to a more contrasting, red, green, and gold (or perhaps silver) color scheme would bring out the Christmas time feel more.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
Could we possibly persuade you to post the recipes? :)

I was mocking up what I thought would be cool, and I realized it was totally my aesthetic and that I actually really liked this idea. I have a friend who, a couple of years ago, made their own little package of delicious goodies and had printed on the package a special label noting the gift-givers' faux brand, as well as how they had been "made with love... and a terrifying amount of butter." LOL.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Sure... But you have to post what you've done...it's only fair. :)
(For each of these...the serving directions are 2 spoonfulls to one cup of hot water)
Raspberry Cocoa
3 Cups of favorite cocoa mix
1 pkg. of Unsweetened Kool-Aid
(Flavor or Choice)
Mix in blender until it becomes a fine powder.

Cinnamon-N-Spice
2/3 Cups of instant coffee
1 1/3 Cup Sugar
1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 Tsp. Allspice

Cafe Mocha
2/3 Cup Instant Coffee
3 TBS. Unsweetened Cocoa
1 1/3 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Nondairy Creamer
1/4 Cup Nonfat Dry Milk

Cafe L'Orange
2/3 Cup Instant Coffee
1 Cup Sugar
1 Tsp. Dried Crushed Orange Peel
1/4 Tsp. Cinnamon

I'm trying to remember where I found these...
Here it is...
www.thriftyfun.com
There's more ideas there...the recipes are about 3/4 of the way down the list.

I actually found a great idea on how to package recipe cards with the homemade goodies as well...
From Martha Stewart...Go Figure.

Have Fun!:D

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
Sweet, thanks! :)

They're just color variants on this... I'm not sure if I'm going to make all 4 yet. Thanks for this awesome idea!

Also, eww, the thumbnail looks nasty. Click for larger.

Attachments

• raspberrycocoa.jpg
    raspberrycocoa.jpg
    869.3 KB · Views: 70

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
i like that but am not sure if i prefer the original. the one above is very cool however but am just not sure it makes me think Christmas. it would be perfect for like a girls bath type present however. but Italian coffee....

i m goin to try one of those recipes now lol. they look bloody nice!!!

robbie198x

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
I agree. The 2nd attempt is def lots better. but while it does have more depth to it, im not sure if it makes me thing christmas... looks more like a cook book cover. Maybe some x'masy elements?

Looking good tho!! Please do share any other versions u come up with :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.