Trying to be more 'green' this Christmas...

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Nicolecat, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I thought I could put my design skills to use, and put together gourmet cocoa & coffees baskets for my family and friends.

Coffee mugs, homemade cocoas & coffees, peppermint sticks, chocolate dipped spoons & and a small personal momento.

Here's what I have so far for the cocoa labels.
    (I found the recipes online...so I'm trying them out this weekend, before I make them in bulk.)

Thoughts?

Oh, yeah...My father's side of the family has italian heritage (thus the italian flair). From what I could find the quote roughly means, "Life is too beautiful to think it is granted." (Anotherwords, "Don't take life for granted).

Attached Files:

2. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The first one feels really moroccan. The shapes and the red and gold are are like stereotypical moroccan stuff (just looking on google I found this which has the same main shape http://www.yogitea.com/Photos/OurTeas/MoroccanOrangeSpice.gif which they use a lot). The fringe could be seen as a henna design too.

I would avoid the red and stick with brown, I get more of a 50's vibe from those rather than moroccan.

3. LeviG macrumors 65816

I agree with stainlessliquid in that to me atleast they're not italian, they seemed to give off an indian (curry) type vibe when I looked at them.
    Personally speaking italy always say cream green and deep red to me but I suppose you could argue thats the stereotypical colours which we become accustomed to.

4. wongulous macrumors 6502a

5. Nicolecat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I suppose I didn't fully explain...
    I wanted the italian verbage with a christmas feel...The shape in the background is a retro ornament. The warm colors were supposed to make you think of the cocoa/coffee drink mix flavor.

Am I still off?

6. LeviG macrumors 65816

In my opinion even with what you have said it still is off in my opinion.

The background image doesn't look like a christmas ornament to me and the colours really don't make me think of coffee/cocoa either - sorry

7. Whimsy macrumors member

I didn't think that they were THAT off/bad. I actually think they're pretty nice and coffee-esque. :) And besides, it's a gift for family and friends. I don't think they're going to be critically analyzing the cultural correlation of the design. I like it.

8. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Like I said, the brown ones gave me a 50's vibe, which is what youre going for. The red ones are off, theres just too much moroccan/middle eastern stuff. I would stick with different shades of brown if you want to keep that shape.

9. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Italian or Morrocan, I really like them they look nice.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

11. Scooby_Doo macrumors member

Scooby_Doo

I agree with some of the earlier posts questioning how well the old Christmas decoration in the center matched the overall feel of the piece.

I think the sharp angles on it don't easily give off the Christmas vibe in this day and age. Perhaps something more soft shaped would help.

I do like the geometric trees and the stripes in the background. That is a good start. Perhaps going to a more contrasting, red, green, and gold (or perhaps silver) color scheme would bring out the Christmas time feel more.

12. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Could we possibly persuade you to post the recipes? :)

I was mocking up what I thought would be cool, and I realized it was totally my aesthetic and that I actually really liked this idea. I have a friend who, a couple of years ago, made their own little package of delicious goodies and had printed on the package a special label noting the gift-givers' faux brand, as well as how they had been "made with love... and a terrifying amount of butter." LOL.

13. Nicolecat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Sure... But you have to post what you've done...it's only fair. :)
    (For each of these...the serving directions are 2 spoonfulls to one cup of hot water)
    Raspberry Cocoa
    3 Cups of favorite cocoa mix
    1 pkg. of Unsweetened Kool-Aid
    (Flavor or Choice)
    Mix in blender until it becomes a fine powder.

Cinnamon-N-Spice
    2/3 Cups of instant coffee
    1 1/3 Cup Sugar
    1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
    1/2 Tsp. Nutmeg
    1/2 Tsp. Allspice

Cafe Mocha
    2/3 Cup Instant Coffee
    3 TBS. Unsweetened Cocoa
    1 1/3 Cup Sugar
    1 Cup Nondairy Creamer
    1/4 Cup Nonfat Dry Milk

Cafe L'Orange
    2/3 Cup Instant Coffee
    1 Cup Sugar
    1 Tsp. Dried Crushed Orange Peel
    1/4 Tsp. Cinnamon

I'm trying to remember where I found these...
    Here it is...
    www.thriftyfun.com
    There's more ideas there...the recipes are about 3/4 of the way down the list.

I actually found a great idea on how to package recipe cards with the homemade goodies as well...
    From Martha Stewart...Go Figure.

Have Fun!:D

14. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Sweet, thanks! :)

They're just color variants on this... I'm not sure if I'm going to make all 4 yet. Thanks for this awesome idea!

Also, eww, the thumbnail looks nasty. Click for larger.

Attached Files:

15. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

i like that but am not sure if i prefer the original. the one above is very cool however but am just not sure it makes me think Christmas. it would be perfect for like a girls bath type present however. but Italian coffee....

i m goin to try one of those recipes now lol. they look bloody nice!!!

16. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

I like the desings. They do give off a christmassy vibe, but especially seem tea bag/coffeish.

Im a fan, great idea!

17. robbie198x macrumors newbie

I agree. The 2nd attempt is def lots better. but while it does have more depth to it, im not sure if it makes me thing christmas... looks more like a cook book cover. Maybe some x'masy elements?

Looking good tho!! Please do share any other versions u come up with :D