Trying to boot from install disc - stuck at Apple logo

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MythicFrost, Dec 29, 2010.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hi,

I'm trying to boot from the Snow Leopard install disc so I can format my drive and re-install, however... it just gets stuck on the white screen with the grey Apple logo, what's up with that? Any idea's why?

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Does the spinning circle appear? How long have you let it just sit there (may take up to several minutes)? Have you tried the disc with another computer?

3. lythium macrumors member

Last time i had to boot off an osx cd(10.5.x), it took a good 5 minutes to make progress. You sure you waited long enough? I assume that since youre trying to boot off the cd, something else is wrong? Try holding option+c when you hear the boot dong until you see a text boot menu and see if itll boot the cd from there.

4. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Thanks for your reply,

On my iMac, the spinning circle doesn't appear at the logo screen; on my MBP it does.
    I probably let my iMac sit there for ~15-20 minutes maybe, with no change. The MBP had a kernel panic after a short while, I assume it loaded it and didn't recognise the hardware, etc.

I'm using a Snow Leopard (10.6.0 I think) install disc, should I be using my iMacs install disc? I didn't really think it mattered.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try with your iMac's install disc. If it shipped with newer version of OS X, then the disc may not work. At least it's worth it to try the other disc so we'll know what is the problem

6. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Thanks, that worked. Must have just been the disc.