Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnbono

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2019
I'm trying to upgrade my powermac G5s to leopard on USB(using this link, among others) and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get to the command line screen that you are supposed to reach instead of the gui. I'm not using an Apple keyboard, but an old/cheap Dell PC keyboard. The system is a 1.8 single cpu G5. Any ideas?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I'm trying to upgrade my powermac G5s to leopard on USB(using this link, among others) and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get to the command line screen that you are supposed to reach instead of the gui. I'm not using an Apple keyboard, but an old/cheap Dell PC keyboard. The system is a 1.8 single cpu G5. Any ideas?

See here.

Hi there, are you using these 4 keys...

Windows + Alt + o + f

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Some generic PC/Windows keyboards will not pass on the proper keycodes for booting.
Another windows keyboard might work, so ...
Try a different keyboard (make sure that you have a wired USB keyboard!)

johnbono

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2019
Some generic PC/Windows keyboards will not pass on the proper keycodes for booting.
Another windows keyboard might work, so ...
Try a different keyboard (make sure that you have a wired USB keyboard!)

Funny you should say that.... Here's what actually happened. First, I tried the generic Dell wired keyboard I got with my mac pro--Nothing, either on the mac pro or the g5. Then I tried the cheap gaming keyboard, first on the mac pro(nothing), and the g5(again, nada). Then, on a flyer, I tried my ancient, barely working Logitech WIRELESS keyboard....and it works! It doesn't work on the mac pro, but absolutely fine on the G5.

Go figure.

I was going to throw this keyboard out, I guess I'm keeping it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.