Trying to Bootcamp Windows 7/8 using Superdrive on Mavericks issue

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Candlelight, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

OK, I've been out of the Bootcamp arena for a few years with the acquisition of VMware Fusion but recently I need to use software which would benefit the native speeds of my 2011 15" MBP, so looking to Bootcamp again.

Have recently upgraded to Mavericks (from Lion, over-the-top install), I have a 2nd HDD in place of my built-in DVD drive so am forced to use a Superdrive.

I can get Mac/Bootcamp to recognise the Windows installer disc (I have tried this under both 7 and 8) and Bootcamp lets me partition my HDD, then reboots, all seemingly per normal.

Then it sits on a black screen with the cursor up the top left hand corner for about five minutes, after which it ejects the DVD and sits there until I force a reboot back into Mavericks.

I'm not familiar with any changes Mavericks may have done with working with DVDs but my Superdrive is working normally as far as I know. I just can't boot into the Windows installer.

2. Candlelight thread starter macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

Now I get 'Can't find BOOTMGR' error.

It's like the USB just shuts down after the reboot...

3. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

It has nothing to do with Mavericks and for all MBP and iMac models that came with a factory-installed SuperDrive, the internal drive is the only place where Boot Camp looks for the Windows installer. The easiest way is to put the SuperDrive back to your Mac and do the install, remove it afterwards. Otherwise this link provides another way that requires using VMware Fusion to install Windows. You may need to read all the comments to successfully install using this approach.

4. Candlelight thread starter macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

Thanks, I'll take a look. :)