Trying to burn data onto CD-RW?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shellseeker, Oct 26, 2007.

1. shellseeker macrumors newbie

I did a search but could not find the answer. I have used CD-RW's before to store data. Not sure what the problem is but I will tell you what's going on.

I named my CD-RW "Business Files". I burned some word docs to it. All went fine. I can reinsert the CD-RW and read the files and make changes. What I cannot do is add anymore word docs to this CD. The error message says, "Business Files" cannot be modified.

I thougt I could add more docs to a CD-RW.

What can I do to correct this little glitch and proceed with my work?

Any input is apprecaited.

MacBook 2GB Superdrive Tiger (soon to be Leopard)

2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Just a guess - check the info on the CD when mounted and see if it's locked. Unlock it if it is and see if that works for you.

3. shellseeker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for response. The lock is in the unlock position. I did a little test a few minutes ago.

I noticed that in Get Info under General information it says the CD capacity is 446KB and Zero is available. I did not put enough on the CD to fill to capacity. So I inserted a new CD and took just "One" of the Word Documents that I had burned onto the first CD and burned this one document onto the new one.

I then ejected the CD and reinserted to burn another Word Doc. Got the same error message and in Get Info it is reading this CD as full with the same 446KB used. There is not enough in that document to fill a CD.

I am stumped. But I am sure it has to be some simple solution.

Any suggestions will be helpful. I really need to get this project done and I do not want to use a different CD everytime I type a new Word Document.

MacBook 2GB Superdrive Tiger (soon to be Leopard)

4. shellseeker thread starter macrumors newbie

Please do not let this question die.

I need to figure out what the problem is with burning CD-RW and adding more documents to the CD-RW.

Why is it that I am getting the message that I have used up all the memory on the CD when I have only transfered a document with one page of inormation? Just typing, no graphics.

The only place I have to go is the forums. If you don't have the answer, who does?

MacBook (new) 2GB Superdrive Tiger

5. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

As a workaround:

[1] Drag all your Docs off the CD onto your Hard Disk.
    [2] Erase the disk in disk utility.
    [3] Drag the Docs in step [1] + any additional files back onto the Disk.
    [4] Burn again.

A bit clunky, but it will get the task done.

6. shellseeker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.

I am little aggrivated that I shoud have to work around a "work around", but I am grateful for the suggestion. I will give it a try. It was not a problem on my "old" power mac G4.

It's this kind of problem that makes me feel Apple is not stepping up the the plate when it comes to "user friendly" like they used to. It's all aobut speed. Forget the details. Let us figure it out.

Sorry. This should not be problem to work out on a new mac.

7. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Your "problem" is not really that but an error in the burning procedure :)

not sure if the finder can do this (seems to me there is a way, but I can't recall it right now), but most 3rd party apps like Toast can..........

......................................................from the Toast 7 Titanium help files:

**Making a Multisession Disc**

A session is a recorded area on a disc that contains one or more music or data tracks. A disc can have either a single session or multiple sessions, and a disc with multiple sessions is called a multisession disc.

• Note: A multisession audio CD is not recommended. Only the tracks recorded in the first session are playable on most home or car stereo CD players. To combine both music and data on a CD, see Recording an Enhanced Audio CD or Recording a Mixed Mode CD.

To make the first session:
    1 To record the first session, add files to the content area as you normally would.
    2 When you are ready to record, choose Recorder > Recorder Settings (or click the green Recorder Options button, and choose Recorder Settings).
    The Recorder Settings dialog appears.
    3 In the Recorder Settings dialog, click the Advanced tab, then make sure the "Close Disc" box is NOT checked, or the "write session" box IS checked
    4 Click OK.
    5 Click the red Record button.
    6 When prompted, insert a disc into the currently selected recorder. For information about the best types of media to use, see Choosing the Kind of Media to Use.
    Toast displays a progress bar as it burns your data to disc. A message appears indicating that recording is complete.

To make the disc a multisession disc:

1 To record another session to a disc that already has a first session, add files to the content area as you normally would.
    2 When you are ready to record, click the red Record button.
    3 When prompted, insert a disc with one or more sessions on it.
    Toast displays a progress bar as it burns your data to disc. A message appears indicating that recording is complete.

When this is done correctly, all the sessions on the disk will mount on your desktop as individual volumes when you insert the disk into the drive............

8. splashtech macrumors regular

I just had to figure out burning a CD on a mac for the first time too. I think maybe there is a bit of room for improvement here... everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) so far has not been a problem. But I found the procedure of burning a disc to be a little less than intuitive. Got there, but still.

And what on earth is a "Burning Folder". Seems a totally redundant feature... :confused:

9. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

The burn folder is where you drag the items to that you want to burn to disk. It allows the finder to make an alias of every file, instead of actually making a duplicate copy of the file, and the real file stays put in it's original location. This does seem redundtant in some ways, until you realize that creating an alias to a file is way faster than actually copying it and less problematic than moving it.

just think of it as a temp file, and after you burn the disk, you can trash the burn folder notta problemo w/o ever being in danger of accidentally deleting the actual files themselves.......

10. shellseeker thread starter macrumors newbie

I have my answer

I spoke with Apple Support.

The answer is, you can do the "walk around" offered by "elppa" on a CD-R.

Or you can use disc untility and follow the instructions from the help menu under "Recording on a CD-R more than once". You have to follow the seven steps each time you want to add data to the CD-R. This will not work with a CD-RW.

I am not sure which is easier and I guess time using each method will tell.

I appreciate all your input about this question.