Trying to Buy a apple power mac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by juju2344, May 30, 2009.

1. juju2344 macrumors newbie

Ok So i have an old Quick Silver g4 and I am looking to upgrade.

I was thinking of building a PC.. but I have to confess that I am in love with the OS and I don't want to give it up..:D

I have been on craigslist and ebay looking for a dual core g5, but as other users in this forum, have been a bit leery and I don't want to get burned, by buying of craigslist and ebay.

So what can I do . to protect myself.

What diagnostic software can I use, when meeting someone from craigslist.

And with ebay.. it seems like a crap shoot..lol

Any help ??

2. juju2344 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Macrovertigo macrumors member

Macrovertigo

Many will tell you to skip the G5 to begin with, and that "any used computer is a pig in a poke" is a given, but you can buy with confidence a refurbished mac as offered on the www.apple.com store pages. Go to the Apple store, look at the bottom on the left and there will be a link to "Refurbished" macs, they are cleaned up and/or fixed and ready to go returned items, that are sold with the same guarantee you get when you buy new, and they are a little to a lot cheaper. If you are spending any money at all, you might as well get a clear deal there that you won't have to wonder about. If you want to cobble together an assembled array, get a refurbished Mini to play with, or just go for it and get a refurbished Mac Pro that you know you can keep and use for five to ten years with some simple attention down the road. Forget about the G5 unless a deal falls in your lap.
    The macs you see listed as refurbished at apple.com will be totally random, and they will show up and get snapped up at any time of the day, so study well and get a cc number ready so that when you see the item you like you can jump on it. There is a good return policy too.
    Also, if you are hell-bent on a G5, the one you are looking for will be harder to find anywhere, but try finding a not-for-profit recycler of computers and such, I got my G4's several years ago at one such place where they were selling "checked over, cleaned up and running" mac computers donated to them by a local university - they were scratched up but they were cheap and have been very reliable (one more than the other).

4. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Might as well get a Mac Mini..

G5s are way to slow (waste of money), even the dual core ones. Core 2 Duos run circles around them easily..

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Buy a refurbished Intel Mac.

PowerPC is no longer supported and too slow for daily use.