Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
No. Apple Stores don't waver from the official Apple policy. They couldn't even pull it from stock.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
While the court order putting the ban on hold changes this, I was actually at an Apple Store today (12/27) specifically to try on an Ultra 2. I'm not ready to buy, but wanted to see what I thought of the size, etc. thinking they would still be on display even if they couldn't sell me one.

Nope.

The only Apple Watch on display was the SE. When I asked about the Ultra, they looked somewhat uncomfortable and said they're allowed to point people to the website to get information about them, but are not able to show or talk about them in-store.

Again, though, with the ban put on hold, it sounds like this all changes over the next few days.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Does anyone know what happened if you went to the Apple Store while they weren't selling the Series 9/Ultra and asked for one? I'm curious what the official store line was...
They might say probably like this: “Our apology that the watch is no longer available at this point.” 😊

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
I'm curious what the official store line was...
Apple is committed to providing its customers with a worry-free experience and until we can deliver that best experience yet again we stopped restocking the AW as it's the responsible thing to do right now. We apologize for the inconvenience and ask you to visit our website at a later date where you'll find availibility information.

Something to that effect. Apple chose to stop the sale early themselves so claiming they stopped the sales to the benefit of their customers can be entirely true. If you push for details they'll just ask you to check the website for updates and say they don't have additional info for you at this point in time (or at any of course).

Most customers walking in right now wanting to buy the AW won't know about the ban and being told the AW is not in stock phrased in a clever way will get them out the door without asking too many questions. And if they try again in a couple days it's already going to be back in the stores so many people will never know there was a ban.

nmart1214

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2017
The Apple Store in the mall I work at has been pretty open without making direct statements. Usually along the lines that there is currently an import restriction and that they won't know any more details on a full relaunch until the details are publicly announced.

It's the same as new product details, these are retail employees, they don't know anything that hasn't been formally announced.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Not being in the US at the moment, I think the closest Apple Store would just happily sell me one :p

‘Only way you would get one is if the geek sold it out the back door. While they were banned, they were not in the system to sell, but you believe what you want.

macsforme

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
Did they really refuse to sell them in-store? I thought they were allowed to sell their current stock, just not import more. I know the ban ended up being only for a short period, though.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Did they really refuse to sell them in-store? I thought they were allowed to sell their current stock, just not import more. I know the ban ended up being only for a short period, though.
Once the ban was in effect on December 26, it would be illegal for Apple to sell them. If it goes back into effect without a resolution, it will again be ilegal for Apple to sell any imported Apple Watch with an spO2 sensor. This does not apply to third parties but the import ban does so after stock is depleted they also wouldn’t be able to sell them.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Hard to believe that some would think Apple would take a chance a sell the series 9 and Ultra 2 ”under the table” when the ban was in effect. Not going to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.