Trying to buy correct battery replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drifty_Child, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Drifty_Child macrumors newbie

Drifty_Child

My Mid-2012 15" NON-Retina Macbook Pro's battery status has changed to "Condition: Replace Soon". Its battery drains pretty quickly now, so I wish to get a replacement. I want to make sure I order the right thing from eBay. I've never ordered or replaced a battery before, so I'm not confident.

Are any of these correct?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od...nkw=Macbook+Pro+2012+Battery+15+inch&_sacat=0

Also, are these good deals for one?

PS: Does anyone know what to call those little adapters used to shorten your charging cord by plugging it in place of the second half of the cord? I want to buy one, but have no idea what to search. Bonus points if you can link me.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Get Apple to replace it, almost anything you buy on eBay is a risk battery wise.

3. Drifty_Child thread starter macrumors newbie

Drifty_Child

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I agree with Samuelsan.
    It will cost a little more, but take it to Apple and have them install an Apple-factory-original battery.
    I believe the charge is $200 (check first), and this is supposed to INCLUDE the labor.
    If this verifies, be sure to CHECK YOUR BILL when you pick it up.
    I've heard of instances where they tried to "add on" the labor charge, until the customer contested it.

If you really want to do it yourself, I'd suggest buying a battery from ifixit.com.
    Probably "as close as it gets" to a genuine battery.
    There are A LOT OF FAKES out there. They work, but they are prone to discharge faster and the battery will "go bad on you" sooner.

But again... after you buy the battery AND the right tools for the job, the cost of having Apple do it (and get a warranty on the replacement) isn't so bad, after all...

5. treekram macrumors 65816

The cost of "battery service" for the 15" non-Retina 2012 MBP is $129. As is becoming more common nowadays, Apple is becoming more obfuscatory and in the link below, they don't explicitly state that a battery replacement is $129. So I think one needs to be exactly sure of what one is getting before forking over $129. The premium for the Apple battery may or may not be worth it - people have had problems (some obviously a battery issue, some not) with non-Apple batteries which made them regret their decision, many others use non-Apple batteries without a problem.

https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service