Trying to buy my first MacBook Pro... Please help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taeccool, Nov 29, 2012.

1. taeccool macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I am a video production major who will be graduating in May 2013.

I have a windows 7 desktop PC (Dell) which is slowly failing,
    but I'm quite friendly with Macs since I use final cut pro on school's mac all the time for my videos.

From January 2013 my last semester will start,
    and more and more I feel that I need my own Macbook pro, not only for the school work but also for my future career.

At this time I'm looking at a non-retina 13" one and with a 8GB ram.

So, my question is,
    Should I wait for a new upgraded Macbook Pro that will come in 2013?
    or buy 2012 one in January so I can use it for my last semester and later on?

Please help.
    Thank you in advance. :)

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

If you need one by then, then buy one. If not, you can wait. If your reason for waiting is to get the latest and the greatest then you will be waiting forever.

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yes. :D

Seriously. This is a question based on personal need. Nobody knows that but you.

4. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

I wonder... is the 13" enough for Video work?
    IMHO, the 13" MBP is very crippled by its (by today's standards) laughably small screen: 1280x800 and they call it pro?

If you have any schoolmates with their own MBP's, I'd recommend you ask for their opinions or getting your hands on a machine for trying it out.

RGDS,

5. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

I agree with this. If you're going to get MBP go with the base 15" and do your own SSD and ram upgrades. Bump the ram up to 16gb

it will be useful in years to come. The next MBP will most likely only be a CPU bump but the current gen is certainly capable of your described needs.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Bump that up to a 15" to get a quad-core processor and more screen real estate. Upgrade the RAM yourself, it'll likely cost half as much or less than what Apple charges.

7. pbmagnet4 macrumors regular

The MBP in my sig runs FCP just fine, along with just about everything else I need it to. It is usually connected to a monitor running 1080p, and I render all my videos on the 500gb drive that was in my MBP when I replaced it with my SSD via USB3. The Intel HD 4000 is actually pretty decent, and with larger and faster ram (8gb 1866 HyperX) it gets all the boost it needs for what I do. Soon enough I plan on getting a Thunderbolt display leading me to my ideal setup. I purchased my MBP for 999$ and all the upgrades were 280$ (SSD, RAM, enclosure for HDD). So at 1280$ for a portable machine that does what I need it to do seems like a pretty good deal, to me. Even if I am unsatisfied with the screen I can always plug it into about any tv/monitor with my minidv to hdmi cord.