Trying to buy refurb iphone from A&TT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Habitat31, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Habitat31 macrumors newbie

Well i keep hearing people buying refurbished iphones! So i wanted to get one and probably add a contract later on. So i go to my a&tt store and i ask if they have any 4gb left and they say yes. So i ask can i get one and he tells me sure. He comes back with a box and says your gonna have to get a contract if you wanna buy this. :mad: I taught no questions were asked if you wanted to buy one!

So i decide what the hell..I might get the contract too right now while i'm at. But wait dont you sign up for a contract through itunes? He was doing it by on the computer asking me questions? I decide to change my mind and i leave! Upset with not having a iphone in my hand!:mad:

What can i do? Also the plan this guy was going to put in was for $90 :eek:
    i taught the 60 dollar plan with unlimited data and 200 text.

He tells me your gonna need the unlimited text which is $20.00 to add. So if my math is correct 60 + 20 = 80. Shouldn't it be 80 every month?

2. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Contracts are a nasty thing. That's how it enables you to buy the phone for that cheap D:....

But with tax, you'd probably be paying a bit over ninety bucks anyways.
    I'd go home and rethink your life. iPhones are expensive.

3. Hoo03 macrumors regular

If you want to do it yourself, I would suggest calling around and see if other stores carry refurbs. If they say yes, confirm with him/her that you want to do the activation process by yourself.

As for the plan, $59.99/month is the base plan that includes 450 min, unlimited data and 200 texting as you've already indicated. You are allowed to choose the plan, not the AT&T employee. How is he to know you need unlimited texting plan?

If no other store carries it, then go back to the store again tonight. By then, you should be assisted by someone else. Good luck.

4. oldimac macrumors regular

Are the ATT refurbs still only in the Northeast?

Apple has an 8GB refurb iPhone for $349 - I say, ya right! Not a good deal as far as I am concerned.

Apple is really funny when it comes to their refurbs. They have a 23" monitor showing a price of $749 ORIGINAL PRICE 1999.00 - a savings of 63% off the original price. What are they thinking - are these really that old that the original price on THAT monitor was really $1,999.00?

They quote the ORIGINAL, ORIGINAL price on all their refurbs - I think it is downright wrong - they should quote the current selling price and then the refurb price. :rolleyes:

5. r00 macrumors member

my fiancé and I just bought 2 8GBs at the Delaware AT&T store right near PA for $249 each. I would swear they're brand new. Screen protector and all accessories were sealed. Awesome deal if you ask me. No contract no questions. Call around and find a new store.

Btw... I'm using tmobile.

6. oldimac macrumors regular

Man I wish I could find a deal like that but New Mexico is a long ways from the Northeast.:(

7. Hoo03 macrumors regular

I believe this deal currently is for NE only. If this continues to be successful, who knows. AT&T/Apple may decide to open it up to rest of the states.

8. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Makes sense, because they are old and due for a new version for a few months. I like the ACD's, but I want to wait for a new version to hit...

9. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

yeah, that at&t salesperson was not straight with you. you should not have had to sign up for a contract on the spot and it's your choice to get the unlimited texting or not.

the at&t stores in my area (outside of boston) were somewhat sticklers about the rules - new line or upgrade with store manager approval only. i found one store where the guy was willing to sell them to me as upgrades - i claimed they would be gifts for my husband and mother (both with at&t already) and got 2 4gb ones that way. he did record the phone numbers for those accounts and code some new sim cards for those numbers specifically. but i unlocked one for myself and sold the other and did not use those sim cards. and nothing will happen to their accounts since i didn't activate the iphones using them (ziphone is excellent!).

i'm thinking at&t has gotten wise to the fact that these prices are great deals and are really trying to reel in new customers with them, and are less willing to sell them any other way, especially since unlocking them is now so easy.