Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newmacuser23

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
I am trying to use telnet to change my mac address I connect to telnet successfully and enter ip ifconfig intf=Dynamic_IP hwaddr=00:??:??:??:??:?? after entering a random combination of numbers where the ?'s are I get the following error.

Invalid interface name specified.
Bad value for parameter 'intf'
Unknown command.

What am I doing wrong?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I am trying to use telnet to change my mac address I connect to telnet successfully and enter ip ifconfig intf=Dynamic_IP hwaddr=00:??:??:??:??:?? after entering a random combination of numbers where the ?'s are I get the following error.

Invalid interface name specified.
Bad value for parameter 'intf'
Unknown command.

What am I doing wrong?
You cannot change your MAC address. If you could, then there is a non-zero chance to change it to a MAC address that is already in use elsewhere on the network. In this case, the network is worldwide.

More power to the other users on your ISP's forums.

BlackViper

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
Why

It might help if you could tell us why you want to change your IP address. It really shouldn't matter what your IP address is; when it does, you usually want to keep a specific IP, not change it.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
You cannot change your MAC address. If you could, then there is a non-zero chance to change it to a MAC address that is already in use elsewhere on the network. In this case, the network is worldwide.

More power to the other users on your ISP's forums.

You can change your MAC address on most newer equipment. It will not change what is burned into the NIC, but you can change what is presented to the network.

Also, your MAC address is only visible on the current subnet, not across the entire Internet.

OP, on what equipment are you attempting to change the MAC? If it is a router, then what is the router's make and model? Another option to try is forcing your equipment to release its IP, and then turning it off for a period of time (say overnight).

newmacuser23

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
The make of my router is speedtouch 585 v7 and it is that one I am trying to change.

newmacuser23

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
In regards to the equipment I am using I am using a mac pro how would I release the ip If spoofing the mac on the router can't be done.

pk0

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
I don't really know what you are trying to do, but if you are just trying to release/renew an IP you can do this by going to the Apple menu>System Preferences>Network>Advanced>TCP/IP>Renew DHCP Lease.

newmacuser23

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Thanks for that and if possible how would I disguise my mac address to display something different compared to the actual mac.

Because lease times are extremely long on my ISP releasing the ip and even unplugging the router probably won't help

AshMan

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
why can;t you simply tap into the router via its web based interface, then simply release the ip wait like 10 minutes and try to renew the ip should force it to change to another in the range assigned by your ISP.

for instance, on my ATT speedstream I had, I could simply http://routers IP

then I could go into the wan connection section and simply release the DHCP ip from the WAN wait a few minutes then refresh it and it would assign me a new IP in the range allocated on my subnet with them.

Or you could simply turn off your router for 24 hours give or take to ensure the dhcp lease expires and then reboot it and it should grab a new WAN IP at that point from your ISP.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
DHCP leases are reserved for a pre-determined time, they could be instant releases or could go for weeks, months, years. The marriage if you will is by the requesting devices Mac address, in this case the OP's router.

When the OP's router asks the ISP for an ip address, the ISP checks to see if there was a previous ip address assigned to the MAC address, if there is, it then it assigns the previously used ip address. This is where lease times come in. If the OP disconnected his router for a longer period than the reservation time the ISP uses, then when he re-attaches, he would then get a new ip address.

Most likely the OP got ip banned from a gaming or other type of server and is trying to get a new address so he can get back on. I know some routers allow you to mask a MAC address but I do not know if the OP's router has that capability.

You could call your isp and ask then to manually expire the lease......good luck though on getting through to the right person who actually understands and has the permission to do it.

troutspinner

AshMan

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
most dynamic ip ISP connections will expire fairly quickly and renew. my att dsl used to be able to refresh it almost instantly. my comcast cable I had used to expire after 24 hours.

either way only time I have seen anything longer was a permanent static ip...

newmacuser23

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
I am going to try calling them and see if they can do anything the customer service is good so hopefully it will work and as for the reason for the change yes some (insert expletive here) hacked an account of mine and they ban by ip so you can see the problem. My router does not appear to support mac cloning if calling is no use I will probably look at getting a router that does.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
I don't really know what you are trying to do, but if you are just trying to release/renew an IP you can do this by going to the Apple menu>System Preferences>Network>Advanced>TCP/IP>Renew DHCP Lease.

If it's truly a router / modem, then your instructions will only release the Apple's private IP, not the public IP assigned to the router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.