Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I have a Mac Pro running 10.5.4. I have four hard drives in the MP. One is used for time machine, one used for storage, one is my main hd, and one has Leopard and Windows XP (bootcamped).
While on my main hard drive I told it to boot to Windows XP since I needed to get some information on it. I was reminded that the install didn't go smoothly since my keyboard did work once it came to the XP screen asking for a password.
Ok, I can't boot to XP not a biggie but how do I boot to my main hd?
I put a DVD of Tiger in the drive and pressed C. No luck - it didn't boot to the DVD. I pressed Shift while the machine started - no luck - it didn't access safe mode. I removed the other three drives - no luck.
I booted while I press T on keyboard and was able to get into Firewire Transport Mode. I can see the files of my main hd on my PowerBook while in this mode.
Can I attempt anything in Firewire Transport Mode so my Mac Pro can boot to my main hd? If not, what options do I have so I can boot to my main hd? Lovely...

Thank you for looking.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
If you press and hold Option just after the startup chime, all currently connected bootable drives will be displayed and you can select which to boot from. That is temporary (for that boot only) so to make a change "stick", when your selected drive has booted go into System Preferences, Startup Disk on it, make your selection and click restart.

Your system will then boot directly into your desired drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.