Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Background: I current have a FitBit Charge 5. Not exactly 'displeased' with it, but I'm frustrated that features are being removed (Challenges and the like) that I actually used.

Am currently looking into an Apple Watch. From my POV, either of the watches would provide more functionality for what I do than the FitBit Charge 5. The Charge 5 has ECG, which the SE2 does not; but I've used that a grand total of one time, just kinda as a proof of concept. The high/low heart rate I've actually 'had' used on me once, and find that far more useful.

Considering that, considering the SE2 is part of the Apple ecosystem, and considering it takes the Charge 5 about the same time to charge as the SE2, I'm fairly sure I'd be happy/fine with the SE2. Thoughts/things I've not considered?

Kung

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
That's pretty much been my conclusion. Much as the nerd in me would like a regular Apple Watch, the SE2 would provide all of the functionality I currently have and then some.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I went with an SE (first gen) vs S6 for my first AW as I wasn't sure if it was "for me" (also coming from a Fitbit). Feels like the right choice. Eventually I did get an S8 when they were released. The first SE feels like it was the right move, I don't regret it.

Reactions: Kung

Kung

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
I went with an SE (first gen) vs S6 for my first AW as I wasn't sure if it was "for me" (also coming from a Fitbit). Feels like the right choice. Eventually I did get an S8 when they were released. The first SE feels like it was the right move, I don't regret it.

I know what you mean. It's not that I don't 'want' the S8 or can't afford it; but by the same token, if the features it offers aren't really applicable to me, no reason to get them.

My thoughts about the SE2:

- lack of ECG in SE2 - I've used the ECG in my Charge 5 *once*. LOL
- blood oxygen - we already have one of those plus my wife's a nurse.
- temp sensor - I don't need to track my fertility. LOL
- battery life - given my job, there are tons of times every day where I'm not allowed to wear a smartwatch; and I can simply have it charging during one of those times.
- bezels - not concerned about those

Considering all of this, I'm sure I'll be just fine with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.