trying to clean my MBA...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ConnorMac20, Dec 7, 2014.

1. ConnorMac20 macrumors newbie

What is the best way to completely detail my macbook air. I would like to clean the screen, base and top, and between all of the keys. I have a keyboard cover that needs to be cleaned and i was thinking hot water for that (its just a rubber flap). Most importantly I would like to clean the charging port, it has accumulated a lot of dust and grime. I need to know what fluids and cloths to use so any advice would be class!!

Thank you!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Any type of quick drying screen cleaner will do the job. Personally I use a damp microfibre cloth then I go over it will a dry microfibre cloth straight away.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

For the magsafe port, use a q-tip, cut down a little if necessary. Don't use any liquid on the magsafe port though.

For the screen, I'd use a screen cleaning fluid - I wouldn't use just normal water. Tech link refresh is what I use - a tiny amount sprayed on the screen then buffed gently with a microfibre cloth does the job. http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H...a10c688402ab8b5c4373def7875d116523c5225d52951

Just make sure the water for the keyboard cover isn't too hot. If the water is too hot it may deform slightly.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

My MBAir never gets dirty enough where I feel I need to do a complete detail.

When I do clean the screen, I use a slightly damp microfiber cloth and it looks like new.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How to clean Apple products
    Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
    Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic, such as these:

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

First ever Mac? ;)

After 1 year, you will have pieces of food stuck in there and not giving it a thought.

When I get around to clean it, because it has become an embarrassment, pull out my 90% alcohol diluted with 1/2 of water (too cheap to buy all that fancy stuff) and a clean t-shirt, finish with a microfiber on screen if necessary. Casing I use a dab of aluminum cleaner I have to clean my car's wheels. Keyboard just a brush because it's already everyday protected by a silicon layover. 2 years and I really haven't seen the need to touch my connectors but OK if you are in Iraq with the dust storms, I would use compressed air and if that's not enough I have some plastic toothpick in the drawer.

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Water and white vinegar cleans the case and keyboard perfectly. Compressed air before and after. Takes 30 seconds. Being doing it for years. My laptops look brand new for the entire time I own them. Every time I sell them people are blown away by how perfect they look.