Trying to configure Remote Disc on Mac OS X Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dandeco, Jun 28, 2009.

1. dandeco macrumors regular

My eMac has a CD-ROM drive (we will try and replace it in the future), but I am trying to attempt to install Mac OS X Leopard via DVD Or CD Sharing (a.k.a. Remote Disc). First, the configurations...

The eMac has a PowerPC G4 processor, and runs Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, and connects online via AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi.

The two PCs I also installed the Remote Disc software on are...

Dell Dimension PC running Windows XP Home SP3, connects via Ethernet.
    HP Pavilion dv7 laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, connects via wireless.
    The eMac is on the same connection as both PCs are. I can access files from the Dell, but have issues accessing the HP.

Now anyways, I did the whole kit and caboodle install for the Mac and PCs. I checked off the "Allow DVD or CD sharing" on all three computers. I even tried the Terminal commands...
    PHP:
    defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser EnableODiskBrowsing -bool true
    defaults write com
    .apple.NetworkBrowser ODSSupported -bool true
    ...and rebooted, but to no avail. Can someone tell me what's wrong and how I can fix it?

2. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

It seems to me the remote disk sharing only works when there is a MacBook Air involved. The "help" article in OS X says that "If you have a MacBook Air, you can use the disc drive of another computer on your network to reinstall Mac OS X"

Does it actually work with other computers?

3. dandeco thread starter macrumors regular

Tried all steps; no luck. Maybe it doesn't work as well of Macs running Tiger?

I gave up on the remote disk thing for now; I'll install the HP DVD 940 drive into the eMac tomorrow and try the upgrade that way (I know PatchBurn would make it work on Tiger, but how well does Leopard support internal HP disc drives?