Trying to connect a MBP to a TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Watcher, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Watcher macrumors newbie

I have a 1 or 2 month old 15.4 in MBP that I am trying to connect to a TV. I am wanting to be able to connect it to several TVs so I was trying to use standard audio, video inputs instead of a DVI cable. I have the DVI to standard monitor adapter that came with my computer and a cable that goes from the monitor port to a red, green, blue video plug. I also have a headphone jack to red, white audio plug. My problem is when I plug it in, Audio will come through fine, but the only picture I get is green and purple fuzzies. I tried changing the screen resolution settings and on some of them I could make out part of the image but that was all. Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

2. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

It sounds like you have a DVI to Component adapter. Component video uses three cables with RCA connectors to carry the video signal and the cables are usually colored red, blue and green.

Does your TV have component video inputs? There should be three RCA inputs colored red, blue and green.

If your TV has only one RCA video input, colored yellow, that is Composite video. It uses one cable (yellow in color) with an RCA connector.

Apple does make a DVI to Composite video adapter which also support S-Video.

3. Watcher thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Watcher thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link to the adapter. If I can't get this to work I'll probably try that. With just the yellow cable, that wouldn't send sound as well right? I would still need the red and white cables.

5. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Correct.

The MacBook Pro does output an analog signal over the DVI port, so I admit to being surprised component is not working... But I also admit I've never tried it, so...

6. Watcher thread starter macrumors newbie

could it be the cable itself? just a bad cable/tv ports?

7. 4fingered macrumors member

could be. Try trouble shooting it. try with another cable, if you can borrow one or try plugging a different component into your tv on the same port (dvd player or Xbox or something)