Trying to connect Mac Display to Directv!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cabby7588, Jan 15, 2012.

1. cabby7588 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I've had this 30 inch Mac Monitor for years and never tried to connect it to television. I've recently purchased a DVI/HDMI converter so that I can connect it to my Directv box with an HDMI cable (shown in first pic). I got it set up just fine, it popped up on the screen right away. However, the top few inches of the screen (shown in the second pic) appear on the bottom part of the screen. It makes me think it's just a settings issue, not something to do with the connection between the monitor and Directv box. It will only appear on the screen if I select 720p on the box. I tried to change the format using my Directv remote but it doesn't change anything. I tried to connect it to my Xbox 360, and nothing would pop up on the screen at all.

Any ideas? It's driving me crazy! Thanks in advance for any help.

http://i41.tinypic.com/14mb1p1.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/9uazhv.jpg

Attached Files:

• 0.jpeg
      0.jpeg
      File size:
      12.2 KB
      Views:
  2. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

I don't think the display supports the 720 resolution. I'm surprised it displayed an image.

From what I read it supports:
    2560 x 1600 pixels (optimum resolution)
    2048 x 1280
    1920 x 1200
    1280 x 800
    1024 x 640

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I am not surprised that the monitor displayed a picture. I am surprised that it displays a picture as well as it does. This means that the monitor has a scaler of sorts. However, your ACD has an aspect ratio of 16:10 rather than the 16:9 widescreen TV standard. To its great credit, the ACD does not distort the pixels to fill the frame. Your problem is that it repeats the top 1280x80 pixels at the bottom of the screens. If you want to use your ACD as a Direct TV monitor, then you will have to place a construction paper or post paper strip on the bottom of your display to cover the repeated pixels.