Trying to Connect Macbook to TV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Reader64, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Reader64 macrumors newbie

I know this has been posted before, and I have taken the advice I read, but it still is not working.

I have a white macbook and am trying to connect it to a Sharp Aquos LCD HDTV.

I have purchased the mini-dvi to Dvi adapter.
    I have purchased the dvi to HDMI cable.
    Lastly, I have purchased the 1/8" mini-stereo to RCA output.

I have connected the various cables.
    I have selected "HDMI" as the Input on the TV.
    The macbook has detected the TV as another display.
    I have selected the "mirroring" option.

The result: No picture and no sound on the TV - black screen.

I would be grateful for any help, whether they are suggestions or questions.

Thank you.

Reader64

2. user35 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem - did you ever get this fixed?

3. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Is there a "source" button on your tv remote? Click it a couple times to "pc".

4. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

possibly a dumb question/idea, but can you get it to work when its not on mirroring?? I have a MBP and thats usually the way I go. You can also try different Hz make sure you pic the resolution for the TV that has the correct Hz, I had that issue with a project one time. None of this may help you but its worth a shot.

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Check basic things in your TV:
    1- What input you are using for the video?
    2- Is that input active in your TV?
    3- Check that the input works with any other video/audio device, then swicht cables to your MacBook.
    4- Is the audio working? Is teh volume up? Do same test as point 3.

If your TV input works then is just a matter of using the right display settings in your Mac

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Also verify that the cables and adapters are compatible with each other, and they properly work with another device if possible.
    There are some HDMI different versions and I think that some old versions are not compatible with the new ones.

7. California macrumors 68040

California

I have to use the hdmi 1 or 2 input on my Vizio LCD HDTV 32" through the Vizio remote in order to set it up with my macbook.

8. footballboy3 macrumors newbie

I connected my unibody macbook pro 15" to a 32" Vizio with the mini displayport to DVI adapter from apple, then a Phillips DVI to HDMI cable and I get a picture on the Vizio but it flickers and cuts in and out and has a little static in the picture. Its getting the signal but its off and on I guess is the best way to put it. what could be causing this?

9. PAHammond macrumors newbie

I got exactly the same problem and found no solution. I also have a Sharp Aquos TV.

I have now switched to using mini-dvi to VGA.
    This works but so far I can only get it to work with the two screens mirrored and the macbook open.

The moment I close the screen and awake the macbook in clamshell mode the TV decides to change the output mode and the screen goes blank. I can only assumme that for some reason the macbook has decided to change the resolution setting?

However, what I don't understand is that when I reopen the macbook or disconnect the external display cable the macbook screen remains blank?

Anybody have any ideas?

10. auntierazzle macrumors newbie

help

I'm the same as you guys. using DVI connection. Macbook detects the TV but the TV doesn't appear to be detecting the computer. If anyone finds out anything let me know :)

11. SanibelMan macrumors member

I have a mid-2006 black MacBook (with mini-DVI, not DisplayPort) and I'm able to connect it to my Aquos TV with this cable from Monoprice. In the TV settings, make sure that the input is enabled (mine is on input 5) and that the audio is set up to go through the RCA cables and not through the HDMI cable.

They also have an adapter for computers with the mini DisplayPort, though I haven't used it myself.

12. ShawnaR macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem with my LG tv - you describe it perfectly. I'm trying to find a solution other than going VGA but the forums don't provide any solution that I haven't already tried. So if you find out anything, let me know.

13. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Shawna: I switched back to VGA. I was using the MiniDisplaPort to HDMI (my MBP) and MiniDVI to HDMI (MackBook) and I found that VGA gives me a better computer experience, also I save the HDMI inputs on my TV for connecting other stuff.
    Why yo don't want to use the VGA?

14. robcooper macrumors newbie

Mini Displayport to vga

Hi all I am very new to mac. OK here is what I have, A mini display port to VGA the VGA to s/vid Cable then to TV (TV is 480p sanyo clt-2054) No vga port no midi port just RCA/composite/svid ports. on tv. Now when i hook it all up i get a distorted picture. can anyone give me a clue as could it be MHz, kHz, etc.... I have tried a few other TV's and kinda same problem. All I want is too watch a move on TV lol. I have a uni-body mac book

Thanks.....Rob

15. creon macrumors 6502

16. robcooper macrumors newbie

Yep have it all plugged in and all

17. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

What exactly do you mean by distorted? Is it just stretched, or squished, or is it really messed up (colors wrong, blocky, fuzzy, snow) and un-viewable?

18. robcooper macrumors newbie

It is un viewable. I tried the wife's pc and same thing maybe the tv just wont support it