Trying to connect MBP to Samung HDTV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KUguardgrl13, Jul 13, 2013.

1. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I've had my MacBook Pro for four years now, and I've never used the Mini DisplayPort before. My boyfriend got a Samsung HDTV a few weeks ago and has been connecting his Lenovo and Acer with an HDMI cable.

I know that the 2009 MBPs don't have an HDMI port, so I picked up a cheap HDMI to Mini DisplayPort adapter. I connect the cable to the adapter and then connect to the Mini DisplayPort on the correct tv input. My MBP display flashes blue and then returns to the desktop. Even when I go into system preferences and try to find external displays I get the same blue screen flash and then the desktop.

Any suggestions? Is my Mini DisplayPort bad? Is the adapter bad? I know the HDMI cable isn't because my boyfriend uses it with no problems.

Thanks!

2. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I've had a lot of problems with cheap mDP adapters. Use Apple brand, or one of the reputable, certified 3rd party ones (not Monoprice). I've had good luck with Accell brand.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I've had no problems with the Monoprice adapter, FWIW.

FYI - if you use gfxCardStatus make sure that the discrete GPU is available.