Trying to connect Sony HD Camcorder to new macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by murgemarketing, Jan 15, 2009.

1. murgemarketing macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm new to the board.

I'm pretty frustrated because I just went to shot a bunch of footage with my Sony HD camcorder (Model: HDR-HC1) and when I wen to go plug it in, I realized that the new macbooks do not have a FireWire port! I can't believe that I missed this. I guess I didn't really think of it until now.

Anyway, if there is anyone that could give me some tips on how i might be able connect the camera to iMovie or iMovie HD is would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Sorry if this is information is wrong, but can't you connect the camcorder with a USB cable?

I thought the reason Apple removed Firewire from the MacBooks is that MacBook owners rarely use it since most Firewire-based hardware (i.e., camcorders and external hard drives) now have the USB connectivities.

3. murgemarketing thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried using a USB cable and my comp is not recognizing the camera. It's really frustrating.

4. RobZ1 macrumors newbie

Sony cam

if you search apple support you will find your answer I remember seeing it there site....

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I took a look at the manual for that camera and see that the USB connection is like most other videocams of that period in that the USB is only for transferring still shots off, not video.

The only method Sony shows is what I would expect which requires a FireWire (or as Sony calls it iLink) which unfortunately puts you in a very bad state with a new MacBook with no hope for FireWire. :(

I really don't have any good suggestions for you since after reading the tons of messages about FW ports being dropped at the introduction of the newest MacBooks I never saw one post from somebody who had found a working adapter/convertor for a Mac for the mythical USB->FireWire conversion.

The only thing I might suggest is that you might read some of the latest posts in some of those threads to see if perhaps somebody has found a working solution for the problem.

EDIT: Well I was going to link you to a discussion on the Apple Discussions board, but then I saw it was your thread that I was going to give you the link to! Never mind!;)

6. gcbaron macrumors newbie

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

That is of course true- but the OP's title (and 2nd post) show that they have an aluminum MacBook without FireWire rather than the MacBook Pro that carries the FW800.

8. briliam macrumors newbie

Any news

Hi,
    I am having the exact same problem with the same computer and camcorder. Did you get any more answers? I called Apple today and they told me to connect using a USB/firewire cable. I can't find any cable on the web which matches both ends (USB and firewire).
    When I tried to upload my video, I found a suggestion (I think in Help) to download manually through USB, then import it in imovie. Not sure how to do it. It is really nice to be able to use imovie to download directly.