trying to connect Time capsule through existing wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Swoopconsulting, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Swoopconsulting macrumors newbie

When I originally set up the system it was using a different wifi router and when Time Capsule went through it's initial set up is asked if it should communicate through that router. Everything was great then there was a problem with the cable internet provider and had to switch modem/routers. Couldn't find anywhere to switch how the time capsule communicated so opted for just doing a hard restore with the reset button. It never gave me the option to connect through the new router and went through the process of setting up through airport utility. Now back ups are no longer automated because you have to switch between the network the TC wants to use and the cable providers network when you want internet access. I know that the TC can be hooked up to the modem and used as a wifi point but that is not convenient in the layout of the building. Help! how do I get it to recognize and communicate through the wifi router/modem. I know others must use TC in a similar fashion but have found no answers when searching

equipment
    iMac 2.5GHz running os x 10.7.4
    Time Capsule 2TB
    router/modem Motorola Surfboard SBG6580

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

I would look into putting the ISP device onto bridge mode and use the TC as a NAT + DHCP router.

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I believe the Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 is a combination cable modem, router, switch, and WiFi access point, all in one device. You should be able to use the Surfboard's WiFi, DHCP and NAT features and still access the TC from any machine on the network.

I'm not sure, but I think what you want to do is set the TC to "bridge mode," which disables its DHCP and NAT, and then turn the Wireless Mode to OFF.

Try it out:
    AirPort Utility --> Internet --> Connection Sharing = "Off (Bridge Mode)"
    and:
    AirPort Utility --> AirPort --> Wireless Mode = "Off"

Again, I might be wrong, but I think you want to connect the WAN port of the TC to a LAN port on the Surfboard.

Good luck!

4. nfable macrumors regular

nfable

Bumping to request a follow up if you got the SBG6580 and the AE to play nice-like; I just moved into a new home and got the SBG6580 and looking to have my AE extend this network by running ethernet from SB in the attic to where my AE is near my PS3 (about 60' away if you could walk thru walls) Reason: I want ethernet plugin for my netflix, but need ethernet in my office as well.

thx!
    nf

5. obiwan1 macrumors newbie

I think we have the same issue. I simply want to change the router that my TC uses. In my situation, I have moved from one holiday let to another. How do I access the TC settings to change this? I am presuming that this can be done wirelessly and that I don't need an ethernet cable from TC to router.

Have you had any luck finding a solution?

Gear: latest iMac running Mountain Lion. Router is BT Homehub 2.0.