trying to connect to another imac using apple id

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swope1221, Sep 24, 2016.

1. swope1221 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I am having a hard time with the following. I have 2 imacs, same model, mid 2014, specs, etc both running sierra. They are in the same office area, about 5 feet apart. I am trying to access files from the left imac (thats the name of the mac and the account name) on the right (also the name of the imac and account). When I click the imacs name under shared I get the options seen in the attachment. I am able to connect to the right imac from the left and vice versa as guest, and when I use the account name and password from the right imac or left imac, but I can not log in using my apple id. Both macs are set up with the same apple id. When I choose apple id from the options, the windows just shakes as if I entered the wrong password.

I have tried several suggestions I found on threads such as
    1. unchecking SMB file sharing and rebooting
    2. change network to a custom location from automatic
    3. change the computer's name to a new name.

Is there anything else I can try?
    Thanks.
    Eric

Attached Files:

2. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

Is your Apple ID linked to your account in System Preferences > Users & Groups?

3. swope1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, if I right click on my user name and choose advanced options my Apple ID is listed with all the other info such as home directory, etc.

4. insomniac86 macrumors regular

insomniac86

I'm having this issue too. I did a clean install of Sierra on my Macbook Pro.
    From my Macbook Pro (clean install): I can connect to my iMac (upgraded to Sierra) automatically using my Apple ID. But i can't connect from my iMac to my Macbook Pro. I noticed that whatever i do, it never populates the Alias field under advanced options on the user account.

This feature has always been super twitchy and Apple fail at supporting it.
    On a side note, since being on Sierra, none of my Apple Computers can connect to my Airport Time Capsule using Apple ID.

I've signed in and out and all that jazz but it's broken.

Let me know if you get it working!

5. swope1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had it working under el capitan, and did a clean install of sierra, maybe that was my mistake. I noticed the alias field never populates as you said and I think that's somehow connected to the problem. When it was working it was populated.

6. insomniac86 macrumors regular

insomniac86

Correct! So..... Is this something wrong with our Apple ID's or is it a general 10.12 Bug and no ones reported it.
    As an FYI: I tried manually adding the alias information (Copied from my working systems) but even after a reboot, it doesn't seem to resolve the issue.

Nice work Apple.

7. swope1221 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know for sure, but if I had to I'd lean towards sierra. I even tried using my wife's Apple ID on both iMacs, but when I try to log into the other using Apple ID, the window just shakes and no luck.

8. insomniac86 macrumors regular

insomniac86

Ahaha, so since posting i tried my wifes, and it's also busted when creating her as a new user on my machines.
    It still works on her user account on her laptop that had an upgrade of Sierra.

Well we should both report this as a bug.

9. Smacky macrumors 6502

I'm having the same problem
    I have tried disassociating and re-associating my apple ID, but the aliases don't populate in the advanced settings for User Accounts
    I'm out of ideas

10. insomniac86 macrumors regular

insomniac86

It's actually broken good and proper.
    I doubt it works for anyone that has done a clean install. I tested by creating a brand new Apple ID and a test iMac (I work in IT). I did a clean install of 10.12.1 and setup a new user with my brand spanking new Apple ID. It's totally busted and sadly it hasn't been fixed in the .1 patch.

I also noticed it is broken on any time capsule / airport with the Back to Mac feature enabled.
    You can never load the configs remotely.

Nice work Apple!