Trying to connect two macs to internet via wireless router, only one can connect

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smallbeans, Jan 3, 2009.

1. smallbeans macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm trying to connect two macs (an iMac and a MacBook) to the internet via wireless router(Buffalo), but only one can connect at a time. If I turn the airport of one off, the other can connect and vice versa, but not both at the same time. There is a PC connected to the router via ethernet, but that's all.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I've NEVER heard of those routers.

Maybe it's just a crappy router. Ha.

3. eman macrumors 6502a

Use an ethernet cable and connect your macbook to the router. Boot into your router and check the settings on the Buffalo router. Make sure your router is enabled for more than one wireless connection. Did you buy this wireless router used?

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Not an expert here, so I don't know if it will work - but it won't hurt, and I use this to sometimes fix a flaky connection.

Turn on both Macs. For the one that won't connect....
    Go to Network settings in Preferences.
    Make sure "Airport" is selected in the list on the left.
    Click on the "Advanced" button.
    Click on the "TCP/IP" button along the top.
    Click on "Renew DHCP Lease" button.

Go get a tea or coffee, and give the systems time to sort things out.

If that doesn't work, turn the power off on the router, and the broadband modem. Restart the computers. The power back on for the router. Wait a minute. Turn the power back on for the modem. (essentially you are re-setting the network from the far ends towards the internet source. Go get a tea or coffee.

If that doesn't work, then I'm stumped.

Good Luck.

5. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Maybe the default limit for DHCP addresses in your router is very less? You may have to visit http://192.168.1.1 (or the address mentioned in the router's manual), login as the administrator and change the settings. Be careful and follow the user manual if you don't know how to configure a wireless router.