Trying to convert downloaded movies for DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by godette, Apr 20, 2011.

1. godette macrumors member

Hello everyone. I'm looking for a program that will allow me to convert a downloaded movie, usually .avi, into a format that can be played on my DVD player. I've got handbrake but either I'm doing it wrong or handbrake isn't the right program because the movies still won't play on my DVD player. Can anyone help? I'm hoping for a free one, if possible. I don't mind paying for one, but it really has got to be easy to use and reliable. Thanks so much!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

MPEGStreamclip. Convert to Quicktime. You know that you have to go via iDVD or similar, rather than just burn the file to a dvd?
    http://www.squared5.com/

3. godette thread starter macrumors member

Urmmmm, no I didn't know that. How do I do this please?? Thank you

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Probably the best thing to do is to run iDVD and have a good read through the Help files. It will be a lot easier than me trying to tell you what to do, when you have no idea what I'm on about.

First though, you will have to convert your .avi file using MPEGStreamclip. I would suggest that you convert it to a Quicktime movie using the Apple Intermediate Codec setting.

5. tug, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

tug macrumors 6502

6. godette thread starter macrumors member

Problem solved!

Hello everyone, thank you for all your help. I found the simplest way of doing it - I downloaded MPEG Streamclip to export the movie file into Quicktime, and then I downloaded Burn, which converts it to a DVD format and burns as well. Really simple and straightforward programs. Thanks again. Life is good again.:D:D:D:D