Trying to Convert nvAlt text file to MS Word .doc file

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thelucas, Apr 8, 2013.

1. thelucas macrumors member

Hi,

I'm new to the Markdown movement. I am using Version 2.2b (105).

I have an nvAlt file that I want to convert to an msword (.doc) file.

I thought that when I converted it using the Note -> Export function that the resulting .doc file would have the document converted so that I would see words in bold rather than words surrounded by # signs.

The resulting .doc file when opened in Word shows the Markdown commands rather than the text formatted/stylized.

I opened the Markdown Preview window in nvAlt before exporting the file and the preview window is showing the way the .doc file should look.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

If you view the HTML source and save that to a .HTML file using TextEdit or something, can you open that file in Word and get a meaningful translation?

I can take a basic HTML file and open it in Word and it does a decent job at keeping the existing formatting.

3. thelucas thread starter macrumors member

I'm disappointed

Thanks for the response. If I export to a html file and open in MSWord, the output looks exactly like the version as I see it in nvAlt along with hashtags, etc. Nothing formatted.

I must be missing something. Everyone is raving about how easy it is to get Markdown files into all these formats but it seems like more of a pain in the ass.