Trying to convert & trim VOB files to anything that can insert into Keynote - Help!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sheza the Mac, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Sheza the Mac macrumors newbie

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to Mac's in general! Here's exactly what I'm trying to do:
    Trying to convert a VOB file from a DVD into a video file with perfect audio synchronisation. I then need to trim a particular section of that file (say a 1 minute section) and place it into Keynote for an oral presentation. Theoretically I only need to convert a tiny bit of the VOB file into a manageable codec because I only need a tiny section of the DVD.

I've tried really hard to get this working. I have managed to actually rip all the files from the DVD onto my hard drive - resulting in VOB files. I can play back the VOB files perfectly but not through Keynote. So using Compressor I tried converting one of the VOB files into several different codecs - it compressed the video brilliantly but there was no sound at all!!!
    So I've also tried using several software programmes (4Media DVD Ripper Platinum, Prism, many others) to convert a trimmed section directly from the DVD - this worked but the audio was all out of sync. Plus the image quality wasn't very good and I really want this thing to look and sound great.

My last attempt I converted the VOB file into a .MOV file (when played back the audio varied in and out of sync. strange I know) then opened the .MOV file with finalcut pro and inserted my markers to trim the file (everything ran so so so slow for some reason when trying to play the file back through finalcut which is weird for finalcut, but strangely the audio was perfectly in sync only when played back through finalcut) then sent the file to compressor and tried converting it into a manageable file but it was going to take something like 4 hours to compress for a 1:30 minute file!

I've looked up other forums with similar problems but couldn't find one exactly answering my question so any responses will be seriously appreciated!!!

Cheers :)

2. snouter macrumors 6502a

try this:

mactheripper

this will decrypt the DVD onto your hard drive

handbrake

this will rip the whole movie or specific titles into pretty good looking .H264 video

you should be able to edit it after that.

====

if you want to spend a little money, I can vouch this products works as advertised - Cinematize

http://www.miraizon.com/store/store.html

3. Sheza the Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the reply.

I tried handbrake but unfortunately in order for it to work I need VLC in 64 bit which from what I can tell hasn't being developed yet. Real bugger because it looked really good! Looked up Mac the ripper but because this is likely the only time I'll be needing to do this process for keynote i can't justify spending the money for software.

Anyone know of free software that can convert VOB files accurately?:confused:

4. snouter macrumors 6502a

Mactheripper is free.

Handbrake is free.

Why would you need 64 bit VLC?

I use Mactheripper, handbrake and VLC all the time on my MBPs.

==

Cinematize cost $60 or $120 and it can go straight from .vob to various quicktime formats. I usually choose the Animation codec, which is lossless (ie no compression/artifacts) and then edit and compress to the final format.

5. Sheza the Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

That is so strange...when i first clicked onto the link you gave me for mactheripper it took me to this site where you had to pay and everything and just now i clicked on it again and took me to the free site. Hmmmm. So I've downloaded it and am ripping right now. Let you know how I go.

I had to download handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php) as 64 bit cause that's what the instructions said as per my having an intel core 2 duo. Handbrake simply doesn't work if i don't have VLC 64 bit. None of the features are accessible. Doesn't make much sense in telling people to download the 64 bit if you need 64 bit VLC which doesn't even exist!!

Thanks so much again

6. snouter macrumors 6502a

You could download either. Core Duo and Solo I guess are 32-bit only. Core 2 Duo is 64-bit but can run 32-bit no problem.

You're fine with the 64-bit version.

Why do you need VLC at all? Handbrake has nothing to do with VLC?

7. Sheza the Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow ok that information was so useful! These forums should start charging a fee. Ok so I downloaded the 32 bit Handbrake and it works fine. I presumed it wouldn't work (as you can tell I'm not exactly computer savvy) from what the instructions said. So handbrake is absolutely awesome - you can tweak so many things! I'm ripping the video now and hopefully when finished it will work!! I'll keep you posted.

Btw the reason I was talking about VLC is because when I tried using the 64 bit version of Handbrake it kept coming up saying "you have the 64 bit version of Handbrake but you don't have the 64 bit version of VLC" and it would then prompt me to the VLC site (mind you there was no 64 bit VLC download so that was a bit pointless) and when I tried to continue using 64 bit Handbrake it simply wouldn't let me. I'd show you a screen capture but I've gotten rid of that version so never mind.

Thanks so much again!

8. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

MPEG Streamclip. If you have the MPEG2 component (comes with FCP or is purchased separately) you can open VOBs, set I and O points and export as a QT MOV with whatever codec you want. It's a freeby. At its simplest, it's a nifty frontend for QT Pro, but a lot more powerful.

It's so useful for Mac users it should be preinstalled on all Macs.

9. Sheza the Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so everything works now!!! MPEG Streamclip is incredible - the only software which manages to trim and convert a VOB file into a manageable video file with perfect audio sync. It works better than compressor! Thanks so much Snouter & MartinX you've solve all my probs in under 12 hours!

Cheers :)

10. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Glad to be of service. I love a happy ending. :)

One of my jobs is to take a 30 minute DVD of (insert icky medical procedure here) on a dozen or so patients and break it up into individual patients and make WMVs.

The first time I did it, I converted the DVD to DV via a Canopus ADVC, imported the file into iMovie, split it and exported each segment as a separate DV then converted each one to WMV (which takes 3 - 5 times realtime). It was an all day event...

With MPEG Streamclip, I bring in the VOB folder I have copied to HDD, repair timecode (which is always broken when using stuff from a DVD recorder it seems), open up a batch window, set I and O points using the keyboard navigation (up and down arrows etc), send to batch (on the first one, I set the export parameters for the WMV and they are kept as default for subsequent exports in this run) rinse and repeat: I, arrow down, arrow down, arrow down, ..., O , export to other, return, name it, return. I, arrow down,... Hit start. If there was a keyboard command for "export to other", I'd be even quicker.

I can do it in 30 minutes at the end of the day and set it to convert when I'm gone. I'm happy. Docs are happy. I love that app.

That reminds me - I have one to do. TTFN.

11. Sheza the Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol your reply made me laugh - "I love a happy ending."

Wow that sounds intense what your doing. I was involved in this conference once where the AV Production team had to organise all these medical videos and presentations on behalf of several medical insurance companies but one of the AV guys passed out because of the icky material!!
    The only reason I needed to perform the conversion task was for an oral presentation where I'm researching this TV series - It seems so silly that I bought and paid good money for the series but that it takes so so so much effort to take a small clip and insert it into a presentation! I even asked my teacher (who is a pro editor) how to do it and all he could recommend was 'Mactheripper' which is fine for ripping but not much else. I've already told 3 friends from uni about MPEG Stream clip because I'm so stoked by it!

Thanks again!!!:)