Trying to Create .AVI DVDRips HELP Please

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by alexk403, Aug 5, 2012.

1. alexk403 macrumors member

I have a huge dvd collection and want to convert the whole thing into digital format. The movies I find on the internet are all around 700mb and in .avi format. That is exactly what I want to do. I really want to do it on the mac though. I got Ripit to get the actual video_ts files and am not sure what to use for the encoding to avi or what encoding I need to use to get the end result I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

get Handbrake. Don't encode to AVI (not the most Mac friendly format/container). Use one of the presets - such as the AppleTV2 format (you can then easily load it into you Itunes library and play it from there on your computer, iPad, Iphone, AppleTV, etc)

3. alexk403 thread starter macrumors member

Well I am not worried about playback ability. I stream all my movies wirelessly to a wdtv, which plays virtually anything. I read up some more and it seems that the avi format I am looking for is xvid avi, with mp3 audio. And I am using Ripit to get the video_ts files, I just need a program that can take the video_ts folder and encode it to xvid avi. I have seen ffmpegx, but dont think it can handle more than one file, since the video_ts folder has many files. Any other program you know of could help as well. Thanks.

4. rosschang macrumors member

I suppose MKV would be the better option. u can include all different audio track and subtitle.

5. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

this. use mkv and u can not only keep the high quality of the dvd source but also the surround audio.

6. alexk403 thread starter macrumors member

Alright I may do mkv then but what program would I be using to do this?

7. simsaladimbamba

HandBrake, as mentioned in post #2. For .avi files you have to look at older versions of HandBrake, but I don't know which one.

8. alexk403 thread starter macrumors member

Will handbrake still be able to rip the dvd even though they have the copy protection on them?

9. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

No. You'll have to get something else (which I think is a verbotten topic on this site so can't say any names. But if you are really looking for a MAC program that will act as THE RIPPER you should be able to google for it very easily).

as an FYI...Handbrake will do MP4 or MKV...and will keep surround sound for all of them (MKV is not very Mac friendly...won't import into ITunes. You'd need something like VLC to play them). as you are dealing with SD and not HD files you aren't going into full 1080 anyway (only 480). I convert all MKV files into MP4 for Itunes via Handbrake. Also convert a lot of DVDs - one nice thing is that PAL and NTSC both play well in Itunes so if you have a mixed DVD library...

10. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Subtle :p

11. simsaladimbamba

It is still allowed to talk about ripping and transcoding. Here is a superficial guide about how to do what. It is forbidden to talk about downloading torrents of movies and applications, if those movies or applications are not free to begin with. You can however torrent via Mininova.

12. alexk403 thread starter macrumors member

Haha yes I know of the ripper but that is a PowerPC application and I am on mountain lion. I do have parallels though with windows 7 so I might just do it on there since windows has everything I am looking for

13. simsaladimbamba

Look at the link in my last post, as it mentions three other rippers. And then there is also MakeMKV.

14. rosschang macrumors member

As mentioned, handbrake. (I remember there is a dependancy on VLC, u'll have to install VLC first. eg 64 bit VLC for 64 bit Handbrake)

as for copyright protected DVDs, u will hv to use other program to rip it to some sort of image file(s) first and then use Handbrake on the image file(s) your program produce. I suppose there are a hands full of app doing such, paid or free.