Trying to create back up photo device

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Linkink, May 12, 2015.

1. Linkink macrumors newbie

I have a passport and want to put my Photos library on there for storage. I can not export my pictures on to the passport. Any suggestions. I can pull a picture from my desk top into the passport and it copies just fine. But I need to transfer the whole Photos library.
    Thank you.

2. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

Here is how I do it.

Open Finder and go to your Passport where you want to copy the photos to.

Open Photos.

Click the Photos button at the top of the window [Photos|Shared|Albums|Projects] at the top.

In the toolbar click Edit -> Select All to highlight all photos.

Now drag the highlighted photos from the Photos app over to the Passport.

3. mrnorwegian, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015

mrnorwegian macrumors member

Be advised that doing this transfers a compressed version of the original image. Check the file size of the original and then the file size of the new file you created and you will se the difference. Hold down the alt key when dragging the file to make a unaltered copy of the original file.

Other options:
    If you just want to do a one time archiving of your library in its current state to the passport: Close the Photos app, browse to the library in Finder and drag it to the Passport. This will copy your entire library.

If you want a backup solution that also backs up new images you take in the future: I suggest setting up your passport with some sort of incremental sync or backup software. You can use Time Machine that comes with your Mac or other options like Chronosync or Crashplan. Set the software to regularly back up the directory you keep your Photos library in.

4. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

Yes, you are completely right. I just tried what you said and it compressed the file. For me that is now the dumbest thing I've come across with this program. That procedure of ass backwards from common sense. I guess I just don't see why someone would want a compressed file by default if they drag a photo to their desktop to use for something else.