Trying to create data dvd, when I drag and drop, only alias files appear, WTF?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MK25toLife, Mar 10, 2008.

1. MK25toLife macrumors regular

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, I thought it was just a matter of dragging and dropping, why is Apple making this so difficult, your help is appreciated!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I take it you are doing this in Finder.

They appear as alias so as not to create duplicates of GBs worth of data. When you burn the disc the actual files will be burnt to the disc.

3. cholub27 macrumors newbie

Don't be worried!!! I thought the same thing when one day I went to burn a disk and the next I did it again but everything was now a bunch of little arrows. Just accept it ... it's a way to prevent you from having duplicates of large files all around your machine.

It's actually a really good idea!!!! ... if you are like me, as I collect stuff to burn I will move the items to a folder entitled "burn" on my desktop and once it's the 4GB I need then I burn it. This isn't good to have all these large files on your desktop ...

What's neat about the alias thing is that it won't actually copy or duplicate the files, but it will correctly calculate the amount of space on the disc your file will take up.

One word of advice ... don't more the original files until you create the CD because the alias will not be able to find your originals and will only tell you this halfway thru the burn cycle.

Lastly ... if you press CONTROL + CLICK it will give you the options panel, and the 2nd option from the top is CREATE NEW BURN FOLDER. This will automatically give you the "alias" folders as you "drag" stuff over and in. THEN, when it's ready to go to disc, click on the burn folder and you will see your trash can become the BURN CD / DVD / DATA DISC icon. Drag it there and follow the prompts for loading in blank media, etc.

Good Luck!

4. mechasquid macrumors member

mechasquid

hmmm i just had to backup a load of work today, and had to google this. I'm sure it wasn't like this on Tiger?

Seems a very backward way of doing it, as it doesn't tell you how much disc space is used, how much is free. The alias arrows, although a good idea make it a bit confusing if this is the first time...
    very weird.

Just using Toast as i know i can get maximum space used up and actually see whats going on!!