Trying to dcide which Mac configuration would best suit my needs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Keva161, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Keva161 macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new computer after using my trusty 2010 MBP. It has served me well but as im using it as main computer, it's defiantly starting to show its age with the slow processor and 250GB HDD (I do have external drives which make this easier to manage).

I was going to go the hackint0sh route but as I would be using this machine mostly for work purposes, I would rather spend the extra cash and have something that's nice to look at :p

My main needs for the computer are:

- Web development (Coding and designing).
    - Photoshop (Designing sites and also photo editing).
    - Media use (music, videos, very little gaming).
    - Dual booting into Linux and maybe Windows for other development.
    - Very little gaming. Maybe the odd bit of Minecraft but I have consoles for that.

I like the thought of a large screen and the extra real estate to work with. So I think the 27inch monitor is best, so that narrows it down a bit.

My budget is less than 2k so I was thinking either the 3.2GHz i5 with the 1tb Fusion drive or the 3.4GHz i7 with out the fusion drive and a standard 1tb drive. Maybe picking up an external SSD later on (along with maxing out the RAM of either machine).

The 3.4 i7 model is slightly cheaper (about £50). But is the i7 over kill for my needs? I know the Photoshop is more CPU intensive but would a fusion drive but a better choice?

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Get the i7, don't get Fusion, buy an SSD, put it internal, and get an enclosure for your external. SSD speeds, and an external drive!

3. sounddesigner macrumors regular

It's a hard choice I would say that the 7,200 rpm hardrive inside of it is fastest enough for photoshop and most programs right now that what I use in my laptop when I'm on the go and it works very well no problems so I would say just go with the i7 and get external SSD with thunderbolt or USB 3.0 if thunderbolt is to expensive. Also if u are willing i would just install it internally like the other guy said but remember apple will probably be less likely to fix if there is a problem. And dont buy ram directly from apple pickup some crucial or Corsair ram from your local electronics store since both of them have a lifetime warranty.

4. bernuli macrumors 6502

I would say get the Mac Mini "2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7" and a Thunderbolt display. That puts you right at 2 grand. Another $300 and you have max ram of 16GB.

I would not buy a Thunderbolt display without AppleCare though.

If you went with a Dell display (not a bad idea) you would be well under 2 grand. If you BYO Ram, you will save even more.

Fusion or SSD will make the computer boot fast, and load applications quickly. My methodology has always been get as much RAM as you need to keep all your regular applications open. Then you only have to wait for them to load once.

Since you will be using Linux and Win, I would recommend VMware, and storing the virtual machines on an external HD. IO is a big limitation and that spreads out the load a bit.

B

5. Keva161 thread starter macrumors member

Any RAM that I install would be my own. Apples prices are shockingly expensive!