Trying to decide between the two 15" unibody MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by urowgn, Feb 10, 2009.

1. urowgn macrumors newbie

I'm new to the forum but I currently have a 13" MB.

I'm looking to upgrade to a MBP but I'm not sure which one to get. I need the 15" because I will need to take it with me to work.

Now, I can't decide between the two 15".

I will be doing Video editing on the machine for work. I was thinking I would need the higher end one but all the Imacs at work are the lower end 20" ones (256 graphics card). There are also several Mac pro's and last gen MBP (256).

The Imacs and MBP handle the video work just fine, so guess my question is, do I really need the higher end one? Does the L3 cache make a difference? Since the other macs at work only have 256 graphics cards but they work perfectly fine, will I need the 512?

Thanks.

2. urowgn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help guys! /sarcasm

Bought the lower end one.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

You're lucky you didn't get ten posts telling you to search for one of the many threads already asking the same thing. I'm guessing that will happen now.

By the way, I got the same one for video and music editing and it's fine.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't even know why you need help. You pretty much answered your own question. :confused:

6. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

I was going to suggest eBay. I got my brand new sealed top end 15-inch unibody for cheaper than the lower-end model. :D Happy Days!!!

7. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I've read several posts in the past saying that the extra video memory makes no difference. Some of them referenced desktop versions of the same vid card that is in the unibody that showed no performance difference. Aparently the card cannot or does not use the extra memory.

If you search the forum you may be able to find those posts that have links to the performance comparisons.

As for getting one cheaper, check out local universities. They often sell apple products cheaper then apple stores. Also check out amamzon.com as there is no tax.