Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPadjack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Hey everybody, I'm new to the forums but felt I should join because of an issue that I am having with two New iPads 64 gb + 4g lte for att. I received my first one and it had about an inch long scratch under the glass in the top left corner only on the bezel, not the screen. This can only be seen when the iPad is in the sun. The screen has a very slight yellow tint to it through the entire screen, and I do not notice it unless compared with another screen. The replacement I received was perfect until I fired up safari and saw that it had a noticeable tint to the screen, not distracting, but I can see it's there. At the bottom of the screen it has a pink tint that gradually fades to a greenish tint at the top of the screen. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there is a chance that it will go away. I still have a week before I have to send one back. I am in high school and use this in every class for school. Please don't suggest to return. It for a new one because I have already asked my dad if we could do that but he is continually growing angry and refuses to get another replacement because he thinks that every one I receive will have some defect, and he doesn't want to go through the trouble of replacing another one. Ultimately, I need help deciding which iPad should I keep and which should I return? Thanks in advance.

Gilly Gil

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Honestly i would keep the one with the better screen which seems to be the first one. Order yourself a nice skin if the scratch really bothers you and you won't ever see it. You can even take it to apple a couple months down the line when your dad feels better about it and show it to apple. they may replace it as there is no way you could have cause the scratch but with the skin you may just forget about it and enjoy your Ipad. Hope this helps.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I'd keep the one with the best screen. I have yet to see a new iPad that is defect free. By that I mean a couple of minor scratches on the back of the unit, dead pixels or chips in the aluminum. I think the screen is the most important function so your choice should be easier if you have a good screen.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Return both... Any defect is unacceptable
I agree with you in theory but I don't think a perfect iPad exists. All I have seen at the Apple store have dings in the aluminum around the screen, dust or dead pixels and/or minor scratches in the finish. I had 2 myself both with minor finish issues (same with a couple friends).

I decided to keep the one with the scratch on the back because I never see it. I don't think any scratches are acceptable but odds are id get a worse screen. There comes a point when I want to use my iPad haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.