Trying to decide... i5 or i3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by morpheus34711, Sep 24, 2010.

1. morpheus34711 macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

After searching many different combinations of this question and not finding a good answer, I must regretfully ask a question of you all with my first post as a new member. For that I apologize.

For those of you who have purchased the new 2010 21.5' iMac, did any of you opt for the i5 upgrade?

I can't find any reviews about it, since it's a BTO option. I'm really wondering if the extra $200 is worth it. I'm a student, and I'll be dual booting with Windows 7 x64. This will serve as my main machine in addition to my wife's 15" MBP and my media center Mini.

Before anyone jumps in and asks "Why not the 27?", I'll say that it is too big for my desk.

So what say you, brothers and sisters? Stick to the 3.2G i3 or take the plunge on the 3.6G i5?

2. morpheus34711 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, you're saying the upgrade doesn't offer much bang for the buck. Anyone else have anything to add?

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Well, it depends. If you're going to be doing some heavy processing, you'll see a bit of a difference, but for the vast majority of users, there wouldn't be a difference.

4. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Techonolgy is reaching a point where software developers MAKE the programs more demanding because if they didn't there would be no use for today's advanced hardware. For basic users, even a Pentium 4 XP desktop would be excellent.

5. morpheus34711 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses, gents. I think I'll settle on the i3 w/ the better vid card.