Trying to decide if I should buy a MBA ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cmeisenzahl, Apr 21, 2017.

1. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

The two kids in college each have their own MBPs. I've been using a hand-me-down Chromebook in the evenings for browsing the Web, email, and Netflix.

It's on its last legs and I was going to buy another sub $200 refurb Chromebook. But now I'm wondering if I should get a MBA. I was thinking about maybe doing a little development on it. (We're already an Apple family, Apple Music, 5 iPhones, Mac Mini, and wife has a recent iPad).

I'd def want a MBA with an i5 (i7 would be nice but overkill for me) and 8GB of RAM. Disk space not really an issue.

But I'm wondering, if I drop $900 on a recent MBA, how long can I expect it to be useful? And can the RAM be expanded on them beyond 8GB after purchase? I'd seriously consider one of I think I can get 4-5 years out of it.

What do you think? Thanks in advance.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You cannot add RAM after purchase on a MBA since it is soldered in, so buy it new with what you need. Unless you are doing some very heavy lifting there, 8GB will likely suit you just fine. You can easily get 4-5 years out of an MBA.

I had one for a couple years and really like it.

3. vjobs macrumors member

Do you really need optical ports a lot? If not, I would go for the Retina MacBook. Comparable specs in terms of speed, much better display (higher DPI and better color reproduction), lighter and comparable awesome battery life.

4. Tazoawake2016 macrumors member

Tazoawake2016

5. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, guys! I found a 13.3" current model with 8GB and 128GB new at Best Buy for $799. Pulled the trigger at lunch. :)

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Congrats.... that's a great deal.

7. sracer macrumors 601

sracer

Others take note. THIS is how you do it!

thumpsup.gif

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The 13" MBA is a terrific computer - sturdy, reliable, great battery, fast, powerful, portable - I have had a few and love them, and you should easily get four to five years out of it.

9. cnev3 macrumors 6502

$799 at best buy means $860 after sales tax. The ebay deal is the same laptop, new and sealed in the box $750 no tax and the convenience of having it shipped to u. I went for that instead. THAT is how you do it!

10. sracer macrumors 601

sracer

Ok, then there are 2 ways to do it.