Trying to decide, Macbook Pro or Tv+ps3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MVApple, Oct 19, 2008.

1. MVApple macrumors 6502a

I have some money saved up and I want to get one of these but I'm having a tough time making up my mind. The TV+PS3 would be mainly to watch blu-ray movies and to do some occasional gaming.

The macbook pro can do gaming, and if I get it I would get an external blu-ray player to play blu-ray movies under bootcamp.

Right now I have a decent Toshiba laptop and I don't do a whole lot beyond the basics of watching movies, web browsing, and microsoft word but I do want a Mac (it would be my first).

Watching blu-ray movies would be nicer on a 42" 1080p Plasma tv though, but at the same time the computer is more versatile and I'd use it more, yet still I do have a computer that gets the job done.

Anyone have any recommendations on why I should go one way?

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Seems like your uses lean more toward gaming than work.

Mac OSX isn't really made for gaming, even if Mac hardware has decent enough specs, so if you're gonna do gaming you'll need to put Windows on it, which will add to the cost.

To save yourself time, and probably several hundred dollars, buy the PS3 and the HDTV. If you need a computer though, a MBP will amaze you. :)

3. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

tough choice if you ask me.

If you already have a laptop why get another?

4. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I actually have an extra copy of windows vista laying around. My school had a "Vista" event and they handed out copies of Vista for attending, which costs $20 bucks but I have it just sitting around. Also, I only want to do some light gaming, probably a couple of hours a month.

The TV+PS3 would be cheaper, its a tough choice hehe.

Well I want to get a Mac and my current one is a windows. Also my current one can't do any gaming really (950gma), and I can't hook up a blu-ray player to it because it doesn't have the muscle to handle it.

5. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

6. sonia1234321 macrumors regular

Well personally, I'd buy a MacBook Pro first and watch HD movies from there, then, I'd save up more and buy the TV+PS3. It just makes more sense to me :)

Anyhow, good luck with your decision!

7. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Macbook Pro or chicken with barbecue sauce?
    WTF?

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

To me it sounds like the PS3 and TV would better would suit what you want better.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea no kidding

10. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

HDTV and PS3. Then get a mini down the road if it gets updated. IMO, a no brainer.

11. redmeister macrumors 6502

just sit down and think which one you would logically use more. that's what i'd do. "fun" can be had on both technically. i'd just figure out which i'd use more often for the money

12. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You can get a 42" 1080p plasma and a PS3 for the price of a MacBook? Or are you talking about a fully decked out MacBook Pro here... I guess the latter would make a reasonable price comparison, or else nice TVs like that have gotten cheaper than I realize.

If you're thinking of making a primarily entertainment purchase, definitely get the TV and PS3 (I'd get something other than a PS3, but this threat isn't about that). If you want a computer, get the MacBook. It's an interesting situation I can't say I think I'll ever be in.

13. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well this is what makes things a bit tough. I would definately use the macbook pro more, and the main things I would do more on it that I can't do on my current windows laptop is a bit of gaming and hd movies.

Well I said Macbook Pro, the 2k version. A Panasonic 1080p 42" Plasma is $1055 at amazon and the ps3 is $400 so its actually about $400 bucks cheaper. And yes, nice tvs have gotten significantly cheaper the past 2 years. Unfortunately, people seem infatuated with inferior lcds though. :D

Entertainment would be the main things this would be used for over my current windows laptop, the tv would mostly be used for blu-ray movies and the occasional game (what my current laptop can't do). The macbook pro looks very nice though and a computer is just so much more versatile so that adds to the difficulty in deciding.

14. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Solved it!

Get a low end macbook 1,299+399 for ps3+500 for tv. Thats what I would do or get a mini and hook it up to the tv with the ps3!:apple:

15. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

yeah, do that

16. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

$500 bucks won't buy you much of a tv though, and I'd rather wait and save up again and buy a nicer tv than something that is going to look very mediocore.

17. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

first of all thats nonsense. Shop hard enough and you can find a HDTV for 500. For instance you are talking about watching movies on a 15.4" laptop vs. a 40" plasma, size doesn't seem to bother you otherwise this would be an easy choice. Not to mention 1080p resolution vs the 720p you'll get watching on your MBP (1440x900 is not full HD). And if you dont care about full HD then you can spend 500 on a decent 720p HD tv no problem. Especially if you wait towards xmas, when the prices of Blu-ray players and HDTV is supposed to be significantly less.

http://dealnews.com/features/dealnews-2008-Black-Friday-Predictions/250942.html

sounds good to me, though i don't know the credibility of the source, i got the link from dvice.com.

18. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

if you go to Best Buy sure.

But if you look at smaller places just itching for a deal, you may come up lucky. I got my TV from vanns.com free shipping + no sales tax. I saved a considerable amount of $, but I also spent more than $500. The point is don't convince yourself that you won't find anything great for that price or you won't.

Another option, consider 0% financing after putting down $500

19. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

This is comparing apples to oranges. The answer should be clear, because the question is really quite stupid (no offense).

Here are the facts... you're looking for something that can:
    - Play Blu-Ray DVD movies
    - Play the occasional game

Televisions are designed especially for these purposes, while the new MBP is designed for neither of them. Watching BR movies on the MBP is a complete waste of money. First, the MBP doesn't have a high definition screen, so the superb video quality would be lost (not to mention the sound quality). Second, why would anyone choose to watch a BR movie on a 15.4" screen over a 42" screen? It's simply doesn't make sense (not to mention the fact that you'd have to buy a BR player).

In terms of gaming, the MBP can hold its own, but it's nothing special. You could build a custom PC for a quarter the cost and double the performance. After all, you'd be relying almost entirely on Bootcamp/Vista to play your games anyway. Even with that, the "gaming experience" is usually much nicer on an HDTV with surround sound.

After reflecting on this question for 5 minutes, two things are abundently clear:
    1) You have a fabricated need to own a Mac (+1 Apple marketing).
    2) You have entirely too much money.

Seriously, this has to be a joke...

20. timestoby macrumors 6502

why not just get the ps3 and tv. with ur laptop you can watch 720p hd mkv movies,plus you can download 1080p if you feel like it then transcode or wotever they do so it will play on the ps3 threw an external hdd.

oh,the other way to watch ur mkv 720p movies is threw vga to ur tv. i have my laptop hookt upto my 40' sony brav and the 720p movies look great.

21. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Looking at your usage, go for the TV+PS3. It doesn't seem like you need to do portable gaming, because gaming with the PS3 is far better than the MBP. I personally prefer playing on my PS3 than my MB. Go for the PS3, it'll amaze you. If you work a lot and require some power, go for the MBP.

22. MVApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well no offense taken about the stupid post comment.

+1 to Apple for marketing I totally agree. I've played with the new Macbook Pro's and they are just downright beautiful. I know I don't "need" a Macbook, just like I don't need an HDTV and blu-ray either.

Do I have too much money? That's relative, but I've been saving this money up for about two years to spend on something nice. In my opinion, if I had too much money I wouldn't need to make this post because then I could get a MBP+HDTV+PS3!:eek:

23. bombjack macrumors newbie

Get all. "Or" is the ugliest word in the english vocabolary

24. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

PC gaming is dead unless you really, really like The Sims. Gaming on console these days is just so much better - games run smooth, look great and are easy to play with the new generation of controllers which are the best ever.