Trying to decide on a budget iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stevo F, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Stevo F macrumors newbie

Stevo F

I've decided to put aside my cheap HTC Desire Android phone for an iPhone. I've not been interested in paying hundreds for a smart phone previously, but in my current job I was given an iPhone 6S and I love it. The touchscreen is so much smoother than my HTC and not nearly as laggy. I also like the camera much better on the iPhone, which is important as I taker most of my pictures on cell phone nowadays, and dislike the poor low light quality of pics from my HTC.

I currently have a plan with Virgin Mobile and like them because it's one of the few carriers that has a decent signal at our house (since we are landline free). I am interested that they recently became an all iPhone carrier and currently offer the 1st year of the unlimited plan for $1.

So my dilemma is between the iPhone SE for $279 or the iPhone for $319 (The 6S is $550 which is well above my budget, unfortunately).

Pros of the SE: Faster processor, more RAM Like iPhone 6S) and better camera, which is important. I figure it will last a bit longer before coming obsolete than the iPhone 6 with the better CPU/ RAM, and I would to get a couple of years out of it before upgrading.

The con I see id the size. Not crazy about going from a 5" screen on my HTC to 4" on the SE. The 4.7" odf th iPhone 6 is just right, but not sure about it since it's slower than SE and the 6S I used for work.

Anyone else compare these two models? Is the performance difference of the phone and camera between iPhone 6 & SE that noticeable? Anyone else go from a larger display to smaller?

2. fartnugget213 macrumors member

I don't know about you but, I cannot use a 4" phone! I get headaches when I have to use an iphone 5/5s/SE for anything other than texting.

It's impossible for me, I avoided apple when the 5 was released in favor of the larger samsung phones.

Obviously you will see a performance difference between the A9 and A8, but I don't think it is that important if you aren't doing very CPU intensive tasks! Everyday tasks should be fine when you load them into the ram.

If at all possible, since the new phone models may release late next month, is there any way to hold out? They might bump the 6 to a 6s model for some of the promotions.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

3. Ashton Cofer macrumors member

Currently you can get a used iPhone 6s for $300-350 on eBay. However, if you wait a until the iPhone 8 comes out (September) then that price of the 6s is going to drop even more because it will be 2 generations behind. In addition, a lot of people are going to be selling their 6s for a new phone which will drive the price down.

I would definitely not get an iPhone 6 because it is significantly slower than the 6s and it will become obsolete much sooner. It would also be pretty hard to use the SE since it has a small screen and you are already used to a bigger screen.

In conclusion, I believe that you should wait a month or two until the iPhone 8 comes out and then buy a used 6s from eBay.

4. Ixon2001 macrumors member

Ixon2001

The SE is a superb little phone & trust me you get use to using a 4" screen again after a couple of days I went from a 5.7" screen back in March to a SE & still more than happy with the SE and now the screen on it doesn't seem all that small to me.

Also iOS 11 runs just as good as 10 from what I've seen so you won't have any problem's with any slowdown this year & possibly iOS 12 will be fine on it aswell so a good couple of years at least from this phone.

With the current price the SE is now going for these days I rather take the hit in screen size & buy new, than go second hand then have potential problems down the line that won't be fixed under warranty.

Also when the new iPhone's hit next year the price of the 6S won't drop all that much, here in the UK the iPhone 6S is still priced at £79 less than the iPhone 7 currently selling for atm at some retailers so not a massive drop.

5. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

SE is the device you require.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

My eyesite would make the SE impossible, not to mention my large hands on the little keyboard.

Glad Apple gives us choice.

7. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

IPP Pro☺️

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Have two 10.5 now. They are not phones.

9. majkom macrumors 65816

dont buy 6 - 1 gig ram is killing it - se or wait and then after ip8 event hope for 6s sales...

10. zone23 macrumors 68000

I didn't think the words "budget" and "Apple" could be used in the same sentence can it? Apple wants to be the first trillion dollar company that is the goal they could careless about customers "budgets". Just saying..

11. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

A budget can mean access to millions as a consumer!

12. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I tried using an SE and while you do get used to the screen size the resolution I thought was quite poor, I ended up getting a 7 instead.

13. Droidbricker Suspended

Droidbricker

These say Verizon Pre-Paid but they are unlocked, as long as you activate it with a Verizon Post-Paid SIM card before inserting any other SIM. I’ve used one on Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint. $200 for a brand new 32GB SE is a no brainer if you’re looking for a budget iPhone.

14. aggie99 macrumors newbie

I'd keep an eye on Swappa for a 32GB 6S. They can be had in the low $300's in good condition. I know all of our preferences differ but there's no way I could go back to that tiny screen.

15. marty1980 macrumors 6502

It depends on what else you want to do with the phone. The camera on the SE is going to be your best option.

iPhone 6 is great, but the 1GB RAM causes some slowness when it comes to multitasking and you get more frequent reloads in your web browsers. I'm still using my 6+ and it's pretty great, but it is aging. The bottom of the barrel now is the 5S as it is the low-end of devices supporting iOS 11. So the 6 series will be good for another year or 2.

One of my kids had an SE and loved it. The smaller screen isn't too bad. It's worth giving a try since it is maybe the best hardware for the money. It just may not be the best choice for you, personally.

If you can find a 6S in your price range, then you get the best of the SE plus a bigger screen, plus 2GB RAM, plus 3DTouch.

Lately. Timing is close to new iPhone announcements. Big Sales will be coming for 6, 6S and 7 models very soon.

16. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Does that workaround still work? Reviews note that Verizon changed their policy July 2017.

17. det2004 macrumors 6502

I would like to know this as well, but I'm guessing that it probably doesn't

18. MarkX macrumors regular

MarkX

The pixels per inch on the SE and iPhone 7 are exactly the same!

19. Droidbricker, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017

Droidbricker Suspended

Droidbricker

These are unlocked phones that Best Buy is selling with a prepaid Verizon SIM taped to the box. I don’t think they’re actually Verizon Prepaid, as Verizon prepaid phones come in those plastic bubble packaging and not a real box. AFAIK nothing has been changed, but I’ll try another tonight since there is one available locally.
    EDIT: Yea, I looked up the slickdeals thread and see these are now locked to Verizon Prepaid. Bummer brahs!

20. Stevo F thread starter macrumors newbie

Stevo F

Thank you all for your feedback. I decided to go for the SE given the better processor/ more RAM/ better camera. I've had it a week now and I love it. So much nicer to use than my old Android. The smaller screen takes a little to get used to, but I think I am getting used to it, going down from a 5" screen previously. Since I don't have large hands, this phone is a nice fit, also.

I'm also enjoying paying 8¢ a month for the next year for my Virgin mobile unlimited plan too (then it will kick in to $50 a month).

21. applefanboy4 macrumors regular

Why did you have an android before?

22. Stevo F thread starter macrumors newbie

Stevo F

It was cheap (under $100)

23. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

When ya get your SE let us know how you like it. I for one really like mine.