Trying to decide on Jailbreak from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by camaroIOM, Nov 18, 2011.

1. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

Trying to decide if I should upgrade to the newer IOS 5.0.1. I dont think the tether with be an issue once phone set up, but wondering if all my cydia apps will cont to work. I use MyWi daily along with lock screen, sbssettings, barral, winterboard, jetsons sms tones, air video enabler, camera lock, color keyboard, fake clock up, fake carrier, folder enhancer, htc lock screen, infidock, nexus live wallpaper, tlert, uwatch, 3g unrestrictor. These are most of my cydia apps and wondering will they continue to work.

Unsure how to save blobs??? (if correct term) if wanting to return to 4.3.3 also? Is this done via Cydia??

Thanks for your help.

One reason for really wanting Ios 5 is the new notification X

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would wait for an untethered JB and also most of the packages havent been updated to work yet with 5.0.1
    I know Mywi does but not sure about the rest.

3. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

If you already were jailbroken on 4.3.3, you should have no issue going back to 4.3.3 anytime, given your blobs were likely saved by Cydia. Install TinyUmbrella on your Mac or PC, and run the app to save whatever blobs you can -- it will tell you whether or not your 4.3.3 blobs are saved.

You can tether jailbreak 5.0.1 now. I went back and forth between 4.3.3 and 5.x just fine.

My iPhone 4 running 5.x is very stable -- no issues to note. Then again, I always try to limit the number of jailbreak apps I load on the phone, making sure the app is *proven* to be stable on iOS 5 (I'm not into being a beta tester, as I value productivity over cutting edge).

Refer to here for what jailbreak tweaks are compatible on 5.x:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...k51NW9KUjJabTZVcTNZekVqSmc&toomany=true#gid=0

Refer to iClarified jailbreak tutorials for jailbreaking phones running 4.x or 5.x.

4. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Ran my 3GS jailbroken forever and settled on 4.3.3. Bought a used iPhone 4 that came with 5.0. There's nothing in 5.0, as far as I'm concerned, that warrants loosing the 4.3.3 jailbreak. I'd stick with JB 4.3.3, given the choice.

You might also avoid some of the battery issues with 5.0+

5. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

You don't "lose" the 4.3.3 jailbreak by installing 5.x. I and others on this forum have gone back & forth between both versions fine.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only if you have blobs.

7. jekyoo macrumors 6502

Are you sure that downgrading from iOS 5.x to 4.3.x still works? I tried downgrading but I'm unable to downgrade.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Again, only if you have shsh blobs available.

9. momo159753 macrumors newbie

Heres an idea...

Okay, well, on 4.3.3, use xBackup to make a backup of all your Cydia stuff. Then ssh or use iFunBox and backup all your apps, AND I MEAN ALL THE JB ONES. Next, save them to your computer so, in case you want to go back to 4.3.3 via TU, you will have all your stuff backed up. And, xBackup also works on 5.0.1. This is just a good idea, in fact, it's what I'm doing right now.
    :)