Trying to decide on the best machine for me.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kjacks52, May 1, 2007.

1. kjacks52 macrumors member

I'm having a tough time decided on a machine that best fits my needs. It really doesn't seem like a good time to buy any mac. Here are my very specific needs.

I need a computer to use for video editing. Every summer I work for an organization that organizes camps for middle and high school students. I'm in charge of the live production, shooting and editing for each week long camp. Right now I'm using a 2 GHz macbook as my only computer. I have to have a laptop to take back and forth to work and school. The macbook cannot run FCS so I need a new computer for the summer.

My first camp starts June 17th but I'm planning on leaving a week early to go backpacking (the camp's in colorado) so I will likely purchase just before I leave. I fly to these camps so I have to be able to carry the machine on a place. These are the two things I'm considering.

1. 20'' imac w/ 256mg graphic and maxed out ram.
    2. 15'' MacBook Pro.

I've seen soft cases built for the imacs designed specifically to enable them to be easily carried onto a plane. The imac is significantly less expensive as well. To get the macbook pro, I would have to sell my macbook in order to afford it. It doesn't seem like a good time to buy an imac or a macbook pro so i'm feeling stuck. any advice based on my needs?

2. mpw Guest

I'd get the MBP, I simply never use my iMac any more since getting a laptop.

What about considering a re-furb to save a little cash?

3. kjacks52 thread starter macrumors member

I would definitely consider getting a refurb. There aren't any MBPs on the list right now but once I get all the cash I need, I'll start keeping a close eye on it.

I am a bit concerned about purchasing a MBP and then redesigned ones coming out sometime this summer, although I guess I really don't have the luxury of being able to wait.

4. Klrbee25 macrumors member

I just bought a 24" iMac and I absolutely love the thing. I'd say the most important factor is how portable you need your system to be. Will you be doing the editing at work or mainly at home? I'd say that packing up your iMac daily will get old quickly, but the potential to pack it occasionally is good to have. If you'll be dumping your current macbook to have mobile video editing capabilities, the MBP is probably a better bet. However, if the iMac will fill your needs and you'll do the editing at home, I'd be hard pressed to tell you not to get the iMac instead. While you can always add peripherals to the MBP, the iMac is cheaper and has a larger screen (a big plus). You can even leave it running at home if you're doing intensive processing while you go to work for the day.

5. kjacks52 thread starter macrumors member

I'll be flying all around the country and editing on location from my hotel room so portability is key.

6. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Ok. Here's my take. You say you have a 2ghz MacBook (I'll assume its a CD), and that you can't run FCS on it. I'm not well-versed in FCS requirements, so I'll assume that it is either because of processing power and video requirements.

If you're wanting to make a jump to a better quality machine just for that reason, the iMAC is your better bet. You could then still use your current MacBook for schoolwork, and would have it for anything you need to be able to do as far as portability goes (and for that matter, since it sounds like you want to carry the iMAC with you anyway, you can still use it).

Just my 2 cents.

7. Klrbee25 macrumors member

Well the iMac will not be your ideal portable solution then. Sure you can get the 20" iMac in a carry-case for airline carry-on (note that they say the 24" iMac is too large for airline carryon). However, it will quickly become a burden. So for portability, the MBP is your definite winner. The tradeoffs will be a smaller screen and a slower harddrive. You can always get a cinema screen for home and just connect it when you get home from trips. The slower harddrive is something you'll just have to live with and could be noticeable if you're doing video as you mentioned.