Trying to decide: Penryn 15" or Merom 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RHMMMM, Mar 19, 2008.

1. RHMMMM macrumors member

Here's my dilemma:

I just sold off my old 17" Powerbook which I really liked, had no problems with. I have been toying with the idea of getting a new 2.4 Penryn base 15" MBP because of portability reasons (easier to take with me to Masters' classes). I also like the 200GB HDD, Multitouch and cooler temp. operation compared to the Merom models.

BUT, I'm scared of the display issues. To avoid having those problems, I'm also considering a refurb 17" 2.4 Merom because it sounds like none of the 17" machines have the yellowing issue. I'd have to deal with hotter operation, smaller HDD and no multitouch.

I have read thru some of the threads on the yellow banding problem and am still dumbfounded, it's very confusing.

Is there any way (serial number/batch codes?) that I can avoid the yellow issues? Is Apple receptive if I take my chances, get a bad one and complain? Should I skip the worry and get a 17?

Anyone deal with this choice?

Thanks for any insight! :confused:

2. chris y. macrumors regular

When I purchased my MBP on monday I was thinking these same things. I had the option of getting a previous gen SR 2.4 MBP for 1500 at my school, so I went around and played with the different MBPs on display and I noticed immediately that the Penryn had less of a yellow cast to its LCD along with being noticeably cooler to the touch. This in combination with reading the reviews of better battery life were enough to sell me on the latest MBP.

As far as worrying about a yellowish display I believe people had mixed results in getting those exchanged so it depends on how much you like dealing with exchanges in general. I believe it isnt so much of an issue now since all the Penryn MBPs they had on display at the apple store and my school were fine.

3. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

the apple store set up isvery very deceiving.
    with the lighting.. which has a yellowish hue..
    it's hard to see the yellow tint on the displays.

i got a penryn 2.4 MBP with the yellowish tint, got it from the store.
    been to a lot of exchanges already.
    i'm keeping it.

there's no difference with the LED backlit LCD displays of the current MBP vesus the previous generation MBP.

4. Nesper macrumors newbie

Go with the newer 15" (I did:)) and I went thru the same ideas you had, but when it came down to it, newer was worth the risk, and we got Apple care, so to me worry free. then my Airport internal card took a S*^%, but on MBP #2 and its PERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRFECT!:D

:rolleyes:oh BTW I have had 2 MBP's like I said above, I had Lg screen, and now have Samsung screen, both have NO yellowing or dead pixels. Both Displays were flawless and identical in brightness!

5. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

Agreed, I would try the floor models to test them out.