Trying To Decide Wether High End Mb Or low end MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr. 18.5, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Mr. 18.5 macrumors newbie

Cant decide Between 1750 dollar Macbook, or 2150 dollar Macbook Pro
    Help is very much appreciated, im just trying to figure out which one i should purchase.. i am liking the mac book pro.. any help is greatly appreciated

2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I take it you're in Canada. Using Canadian dollars? I seem to be leaning towards the high end MB, I won't need an extra video card. What other features set the MBP apart from the high end MB?

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Screen, size is larger, and the quality is better if comparing them side by side. Also, perusing around the MBP forums, I noticed that the battery life on the MBPs are less than that of the MBs, so that might sway your vote as well. I was in this boat as well, and just decided that I loved the size of the MB a lot more than the bigger size of the MBP.

4. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I have heard about that, that the screen on the MBP is nicer. That is has richer/deeper blacks. Have you noticed anything with your MB screen? Do you have the new Aluminum MB? Has it showed any type of sub-par performance? My guess is, the only time you'd notice something like that is when watching a movie or something.

5. Mr. 18.5 thread starter macrumors newbie

ya

ya guys thanks for all the input as this will be my first ever mac... i dont go to school till next sept but want to get it early.. i noticed the screen size difference, and the onboard graphics card which arent all that great i just wanted to see if maybe i was looking over something... How well does bootcamp work on your MB? And Ya im 2 hours west of Toronto....

6. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Well I don't have one yet either and I'm a freshmen at GMU. So we're in the same boat. I'm planning on transferring next year though, maybe McGill. Where are you looking to go?

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yes I do have the new MacBook, and it is true that the blacks on this computer are more of a grey than a black. However, this is only true for the bottom third of the screen it seems, but honestly to ME, it's really not a problem, and I watch tons of movies on my macbook. I absolutely love the screen, much prefer it over my external 22" monitor that I used on my PC.

8. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

The Macbook pro is a better machine overall, do doubt.
    It all depends on what exactly you want to use it for.
    I was in a similar position 1 month ago. and instead of a high end macbook i got a low end last gen mbp, and i love it.
    i dont think apple cuts corners anywhere on there mbps.
    The screen is very bright and has the best viewing angle i have ever seen on a notebooks screen. case is great and very cleanly designed.
    also the graphics card yo get in the mbps is very powerful,
    i have had no trouble playing any game in 1440 x 900 resolution with all the settings on very high (bootcamp into xp to play call of juarez,oblivion,world in conflct, fear and graw and the lowest frame rate i get is like 15 which i find very acceptable).
    i would recommend the mbp, just because i have experienced how bloody good they are.

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I think the real debate you should have with yourself is portability. If you want it to be portable, definitely go with the MB.

I now have the MB, and it is so much easier to travel with than my last generation MBP. Opening the MBP, leaves very little room in an airplane seat. Often you have to get into an uncomfortable position to see the screen as it will not open far enough.

I got the new MB and I love it. I have not seen any display problems at all. In fact, I used a MBP the other day and thought the screen size was amazing but the display quality was no different than my MB. My MB has an amazing display. I guess there are a few manufacturers and it depends which display you get in the MB as to if it will be quality of the bigger MBP's display. I have the AU Optronics display in my MB.

Traveling with it is so much better. Opening it in tight places is easier and can open all the way to see it well. So, if you need a big display, get the MBP or get the MB and a separate display for use at desk (what I did). If you need firewire, get the MBP. If you need portability, get the MB. If you are a gamer, get the MBP. If you like the MB better, get the MB. If you like the MBP better, get the MBP.

Best wishes whichever way you go. Happy Holidays.

10. adelphos macrumors newbie

Oh well, I'm definitely on the same boat as Mr. 18.5 and SteveMobs are.
    I'm from Brazil and I'm going to College in the US in January .I just can't decide which laptop to get. It's such a hard decision for me to choose among the new MB high-end, new MBP low-end or a previous MBP low-end.

The new generation of laptops looks so much nicer and has nice features (like the aluminum unibody, backlit kb, thinner screen, trackpad...); however, the "old" mbp is much cheaper and has pretty much the same performance.

I've been searching in this forum for a couple of weeks and still haven't made a decision.

I'll be following this thread, hope it helps me.

11. mets1125 macrumors regular

If you have the $$ for the MBP then I think its totally worth it. If $ are tight then maybe you should opt for the MB. Personally I went with the MBP for the larger screen size, the video card and better display.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd recommend the MBP for its better spec, greater power, terrific price (as a refurb) and superb screen. The MB is a very good computer, but as yet does not beat the MBP (except in terms of portability; the MBP is also portable, just not quite as compact, nor is it as light, as the MB). If screen quality matters to you, go for the MBP.

Cheers and good luck